Garage Door opener on shared circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericgold

Aren't most openers plug-in? So, cant you just put an outlet on the ceiling next to it, and that would be your disconnect. And then the outlet can be fed from any other outlet/light circuit in the garage. Atleast that's how it was done in my house, so whenever I go on vacation I just unplug it, no breakers for me to have to turn off.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Aren't most openers plug-in? So, cant you just put an outlet on the ceiling next to it, and that would be your disconnect. And then the outlet can be fed from any other outlet/light circuit in the garage. Atleast that's how it was done in my house, so whenever I go on vacation I just unplug it, no breakers for me to have to turn off.

Yes the garage door has a recep. in the ceiling, at least in residential installs. However, lets not forget art. 210 specifically art. 210.23(A)(2

210.23 Permissible Loads.
(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.

Suppose you have a 15 amp cir. for the garage door and the amps on it is 8 amps. Now you would need a separate circuit for that door.

If you had a 20 amp circuit with 2 garage doors even at 6 amps each, you would have the same scenario.

realolman

I wonder if continuous loading should be taken into account with that.

Not arguing with you, because I don't know.... it does seem to say what it says, but it does seem a bit silly to not be able to put a few lights or GP recepts on a circuit with a door opener that runs a few times a day for thirty seconds at a time

One-eyed Jack

Yes the garage door has a recep. in the ceiling, at least in residential installs. However, lets not forget art. 210 specifically art. 210.23(A)(2

Suppose you have a 15 amp cir. for the garage door and the amps on it is 8 amps. Now you would need a separate circuit for that door.

If you had a 20 amp circuit with 2 garage doors even at 6 amps each, you would have the same scenario.

This could very easily be an AHJ call. As an inspector I would not have a problem due to the duty cycle involved in a garage door opener. You could not pay someone to operate the doors in a manner that would overheat the circuit. The motor overloads would kick in before that could happen. Some things have to be addressed as a real world app. and can not be spelled out and quantified.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This could very easily be an AHJ call. As an inspector I would not have a problem due to the duty cycle involved in a garage door opener. You could not pay someone to operate the doors in a manner that would overheat the circuit. The motor overloads would kick in before that could happen. Some things have to be addressed as a real world app. and can not be spelled out and quantified.
I totally agree simply because the doors don't operate long enough to cause overheating. There should be an exception but wording it would be very difficult.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

Each door opener could be 10 amps each and still be legal on one 20 amp circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.