X-ray film view boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microwatt

In your people's opinion, would adding a cord and plug to an x-ray view box that is fastened in place be a violation. It dosen't look like it would violate anything to do with the listing, but would it violate 400.7/400.8 of the 2008 NEC?

raider1

Staff member
Is the view box identified by the manufacture for cord and plug connection?

400.7(A)(8) permits appliances to be cord and plug connected where the the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection.

Chris

Microwatt

Is the view box identified by the manufacture for cord and plug connection?

400.7(A)(8) permits appliances to be cord and plug connected where the the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I read 400.7 a few times and didn't really read it until you posted it. It looks like I must meet both requirements. So even if they are identified for flexable cord connection, typically the fasteners holding them to the wall are not designed to permit ready removal. They are usually held on with toggle bolts. Plus some are huge and take two people to hang/remove them.

I think I may have my answer, but are there any inspectors out there that would like to chime in?

This has been a common practice around here for years and I'm wondering if there should be a stop to it.

cadpoint

Just to throw it out!

Well there might be some other considerations since there is a Viewer is on the wall means there’s a X-ray machine around.

Sometimes, but not always are gypsum walls that could have a lead shielding on the room side of the x-ray equipment and in that cause would limit your options. They should limit or not even have devices in these walls, by design.
I don't think a fire putty pad have any blocking characteristics for x-ray's.

Check your specifications or check with your AHJ, your miles may vary.

Microwatt

Just to throw it out!

Well there might be some other considerations since there is a Viewer is on the wall means there?s a X-ray machine around.

Sometimes, but not always are gypsum walls that could have a lead shielding on the room side of the x-ray equipment and in that cause would limit your options. They should limit or not even have devices in these walls, by design.
I don't think a fire putty pad have any blocking characteristics for x-ray's.

Check your specifications or check with your AHJ, your miles may vary.

If we run into this, we just glue lead patches over the head of the fastener. We do try to avoid mounting to lead lined walls. Not an issue here though.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . typically the fasteners holding them to the wall are not designed to permit ready removal. They are usually held on with toggle bolts. Plus some are huge and take two people to hang/remove them.
So you pop off a toggle bolt and get a friend to help you take it down. Still sounds like "ready removal" to me. I think that "ready" need not mean "light," and "sturdy" is not a disqualifier either. If installation required use of a welder, or if removal required used of a grinder, then I would call it no longer "ready removal."

Status
Not open for further replies.