It never ceases to amaze me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

I am surprised most of you have not seen this lately. This is the new box support method approved in the '08 NEC. Soon to be the most popular method in bathrooms and kitchens.:cool: :D

I like it. Makes a great ground. And they could have used a single receptacle and got it in the box. Or took klines and pinched that water line flat.

Sharpie

I am surprised most of you have not seen this lately. This is the new box support method approved in the '08 NEC. Soon to be the most popular method in bathrooms and kitchens.:cool: :D

It seems perfectly reasonable since everything is AFCI and GFCI. There should be no fire and no shock hazard. what do you need a box for anyway?:D

paul

Because they didn't have the foresight to check for obstructions when they used a drywall saw to cut the wall.

And just how do you do that? Did you buy the X-ray glasses they sell in the back of comic books?

I make my first cuts horizontally, because I'm more likely to run into a stud than I am to hit a pipe run. I have used an MP1 in more than one instance to cover up an oops. In remodel work or additions, that's part of the game....unless you've got those X-ray goggles.

Jim W in Tampa

A thin screwdriver and check it where you have box peciled in.
This was behind a range and nobody would see a few unwanted holes.
The guy that did this one needs to go back to flippin burgers. Yes mistakes happen but you dont walk away leaving a mess like this.
Always should carry drywall fast mud and a few tools

kwired

Electron manager
I would have used either the modified box or a low voltage ring and installed a blank cover to fix the hole with the obstruction and then cut a new hole (for a complete box) in non obstructed location. Faster then mud and paint and especially behind stove who cares what it looks like.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I make my first cuts horizontally, because I'm more likely to run into a stud than I am to hit a pipe run.

So simple, yet I've never thought of that. I usually stick a screwdriver in what I think will be the center of the hole and poke around to see if there's anything there.

I will probably start making my first cuts horizontally from now on.

480sparky

And just how do you do that? Did you buy the X-ray glasses they sell in the back of comic books?..........

No, I'm just saying it appears the OPs photo was caused by someone who just cut the rock with the assumption that there could not possibly be anything in the way............ missing a stud equates to 'No Problemo!"

I also examine the wall for clues as to where the studs might be. If there's cabinets, then there should be screws in them indicating te stud location.

Existing electrical boxes will also provide clues. You may need to remove the cover and use a small flat screwdriver to probe both sides of the box, but it is easy to do.

And don't forget to investigate the other side of the wall if at all possible.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
That's the worst thing about residential. You see some crap all around, but almost every homeowner has a brother in law, nephew out of rehab or a leaf raker who "can do that for you". I did a warranty call for a co., fixed the problem I went for and HO wanted me to look at some outdoor receptacles not working. His siding man had installed them. I took a brief look and told him he'd have to call him back, I had no intention of trying to find where he'd fed them from, probably a GFI receptacle under the house. The guy had mounted bell boxes to the wall with 3/4 inlets and used 1/2" water lines as conduits to feed out of ground and slide up into box. But he was probably cheap, so it's OK.

Occupation
Inspector
That's the worst thing about residential. You see some crap all around, but almost every homeowner has a brother in law, nephew out of rehab or a leaf raker who "can do that for you". ... But he was probably cheap, so it's OK.

This box was installed by the electricians that originally wired this Patio Home. They had forgotten to install the 120v receptacle for the gas stove. The basement was unfinished at the time of this install. I guess they did not want to have to pay for the rockers to come back and fix the EC's mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.