Code violation, Technicality

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

OK, I got a silly question. Why does the GFI need a neutral to provide protection?

If a cord is cut, opening the neutral, and the poor slob with a defective drill gets shocked, would not the GFI read current on the ungrounded (hot), but not on the grounded (neutral) and still open?

no because the neutral is required to operate the electronics and trip solenoid in the GFCI. This is the whole basis for the open neutral protection, and why 'normal' GFCIs cant provide the protection, a separate relay is required.

480sparky

no because the neutral is required to operate the electronics and trip solenoid in the GFCI. This is the whole basis for the open neutral protection, and why 'normal' GFCIs cant provide the protection, a separate relay is required.

I still don't get it. If you're getting zapped with 10ma from a faulted hot wire, and that 10ma isn't going back through the GFI, it should see that as a 10ma imbalance, and open the circuit.

iwire

Staff member
I still don't get it. If you're getting zapped with 10ma from a faulted hot wire, and that 10ma isn't going back through the GFI, it should see that as a 10ma imbalance, and open the circuit.

The GFCI can not 'see it' because the GFCIs electronics are 'sleeping' due to the loss of the neutral.

480sparky

The GFCI can not 'see it' because the GFCIs electronics are 'sleeping' due to the loss of the neutral.

Durrr!
Lalai.gif

So, now, how does it still turn the power off if it isn't functioning at that point?

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Durrr!
Lalai.gif

So, now, how does it still turn the power off if it isn't functioning at that point?

I think the proper GFCI uses a normally open relay so if either supply line is lost it opens the circuit. This also means you need to press reset each time you plug the unit in. :)

wireguru

I think the proper GFCI uses a normally open relay so if either supply line is lost it opens the circuit. This also means you need to press reset each time you plug the unit in. :)

the GFCIs with open neutral have a NO relay infront of the GFCI. They come in manual and automatic reset versions.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

Well sure...if it were proper. :)

But open a circuit breaker on your SABC. Then close it...do you need to hit the reset button then?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
But that has not been what we have been talking about is it?

Well, the first part was a joke. And the second part was slightly off the topic, but I have a plug-in GFI receptacle that doesn't need to be reset. I can't be bothered to go out to the truck right now, but I'll double check it when I get a chance.

wireguru

Well, the first part was a joke. And the second part was slightly off the topic, but I have a plug-in GFI receptacle that doesn't need to be reset. I can't be bothered to go out to the truck right now, but I'll double check it when I get a chance.

there are two different types of portable GFCI. Automatic reset which does not have to be reset every time it is energized, and Manual reset which must be reset every time power is applied.

Ok, now back to our regulary scheduled program.... ;)

So this is a code violation, just as I thought. I suppose I will gently let them know about this even though its just a 'technicality'. Why they didn't just hard wire the cord in the box instead of using a twist lock is beyond me.

On the issue of the electronics of the gfci, this is the first I hear of this. I thought the same things as others, that if there was any imbalance in the gfci (even with the neutral disconnected) then it would trip.

wireguru

On the issue of the electronics of the gfci, this is the first I hear of this. I thought the same things as others, that if there was any imbalance in the gfci (even with the neutral disconnected) then it would trip.

the electronics in the gfci are powered from line to neutral. If the neutral is gone, the electronics in the gfci cant function and it wont sense the imbalance or trip, but the load side hot is still energized...

the electronics in the gfci are powered from line to neutral. If the neutral is gone, the electronics in the gfci cant function and it wont sense the imbalance or trip, but the load side hot is still energized...

I'll have to do a little experiment myself. ;) So are the all the 'new improved' gfcis able to disconnect the power when they lose the neutral on the primary side.

wireguru

I'll have to do a little experiment myself. ;) So are the all the 'new improved' gfcis able to disconnect the power when they lose the neutral on the primary side.

its not 'new improved' gfci, its an application specific gfci. there arent any gfci receptacles with open neutral protection.

kwired

Electron manager
Ok, now back to our regulary scheduled program.... ;)

So this is a code violation, just as I thought. I suppose I will gently let them know about this even though its just a 'technicality'. Why they didn't just hard wire the cord in the box instead of using a twist lock is beyond me.

GFCI breaker or GFCI receptacle on supply side should still be acceptable not certain if hard wiring would be acceptable, most of the time it is not.

GFCI breaker or GFCI receptacle on supply side should still be acceptable not certain if hard wiring would be acceptable, most of the time it is not.

I was refering to the cord pendant. these are allowed and should be hard wired in this instance to an 'approved' UL listed gfci receptacle. This would be code compliant, so long as the gfci in a box is not 'homemade' on the end of th pendant.

Status
Not open for further replies.