Pics, Pics and more Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a new year, and I am trying to become more organized and reduce some of the extra bloating on my hard drives.

So, I go into the file I have in pictures called Daily downloads. Whoaaaa, I did not realize how behind I have become. 11,057 pictures to be cataloged.
It is a tremendous amount of work, but I have to do it, as I already have about 65,000 pictures saved. So, I am being more meticulous with these photographs. I may even go back to the other folders and start scrutinizing them as well.
I do have the rest of my life, you know....;)

I will say, that I have so many different pictures, and most of them of pretty good quality, that I am willing to wager I have one of the best electrical photographic portfolios around. :D

ohmhead

Well we take two pictures each day on the job for progress and post them in our daily reports and its also the legal record of work we do i put them on a stick data traveler 4 gb chip but this is how we keep or records if we lost a computer or the theft of one which today nothing is safe .

A picture says it all.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It is a new year, and I am trying to become more organized and reduce some of the extra bloating on my hard drives.

So, I go into the file I have in pictures called Daily downloads. Whoaaaa, I did not realize how behind I have become. 11,057 pictures to be cataloged.
It is a tremendous amount of work, but I have to do it, as I already have about 65,000 pictures saved. So, I am being more meticulous with these photographs. I may even go back to the other folders and start scrutinizing them as well.
I do have the rest of my life, you know....;)

I will say, that I have so many different pictures, and most of them of pretty good quality, that I am willing to wager I have one of the best electrical photographic portfolios around. :D

Are most of these photo's electrical inspection related?

Besoeker

We have a very simple system.
Each new enquiry gets assigned a number in strict numerical order. A folder with that number is created for it. Every electronic document relating to it is saved to that folder. I keep a copy on my local hard drive and another on our server. My chief project engineer is very good at this kind of housekeeping. If either of our PCs fall over there are at least two backups.
It works for us.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
We have a very simple system.
Each new enquiry gets assigned a number in strict numerical order. A folder with that number is created for it. Every electronic document relating to it is saved to that folder. I keep a copy on my local hard drive and another on our server. My chief project engineer is very good at this kind of housekeeping. If either of our PCs fall over there are at least two backups.
It works for us.
Thats a very good idea. At least with a digital camera the date and time is embedded in the picture, as long as its correct on the camera.
I use MS Camera and Fax wizard and give each group of pictures a common name and then into a folder. For my NEC pictures, I have folders and subfolders Articles, then each article such as 100-110

rich000

I use iPhoto on my Mac and it automatically puts everything in events by dates. Maybe you can find a similar program if you are PC based. I am sure they are out there.

Are most of these photo's electrical inspection related?

No, they are not.
I am invited to a lot of jobsites to take pictures, some guys want to be documented for their good work, and some love to see the lousy stuff they find on the job. I also consult, and part of the fee is being able to take pictures.
This past week, I was on 2 large jobsites. In the past, I would have probably taken about 500 pictures, simply by taking 4 or more pictures of the same item, making sure that I would get a good picture.
Now I have a very fast Dslr, and I am much more proficient at taking pictures. So, if I take a lot of pictures, I will most likely keep a larger percentage as good pics.

I have these pictures stored on 4 large external harddrives.
Of the 11,000 pictures earlier today, I was able to get through about 2,000. Labeling, and putting them in particular folders. I also added 5 additional folders to the almost 800 folders I have.
With so many pics, it is sometimes difficult to locate what I am looking for.:D

By the end of Feburary, I hope to have a really good grip, placing most of the pictures in the proper folders for easier location during future searching. I am actually researching programs designed just for this purpose.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... I am actually researching programs designed just for this purpose.
You may have one already and not know it... Windows Photo Gallery.

I'm sure there's better out there, but give it a try if you already have it. The main thing I don't like about it is that it don't remove tags or dates in the explorer pane after deleting all associated entries.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You may have one already and not know it... Windows Photo Gallery.

I'm sure there's better out there, but give it a try if you already have it. The main thing I don't like about it is that it don't remove tags or dates in the explorer pane after deleting all associated entries.

That is the program I am currently using.

I have heard that Adobe Lightroom is great for organizing photo's and I've been considering it as an add-on to Photoshop.

http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom2/features

Lightroom Beta 3 is available for a 4 month free download, this is the program I am probably going to.

iwire

Staff member
Whoaaaa, I did not realize how behind I have become. 11,057 pictures to be cataloged.
It is a tremendous amount of work, but I have to do it, as I already have about 65,000 pictures saved.

So being the SOB that I am ............ how many of those 75,000 photos come from your own camera and how many where grabbed from the web?:grin:

Just be careful if you ever decide to publish them.

So being the SOB that I am ............ how many of those 75,000 photos come from your own camera and how many where grabbed from the web?:grin:

Just be careful if you ever decide to publish them.

I have about 350 pictures (most of these are "funny" pics) from the web, I have about 500 pictures that other electricians have sent me, then the rest are pictures I took.
I went through most of the files yesterday, and I have taken pictures for work since 2000. I have saved approximately 77,000 pictures.

So Bob, I have approximately 76,000 pictures that I own. ;):cool:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have about 350 pictures (most of these are "funny" pics) from the web, I have about 500 pictures that other electricians have sent me, then the rest are pictures I took.
I went through most of the files yesterday, and I have taken pictures for work since 2000. I have saved approximately 77,000 pictures.

So Bob, I have approximately 76,000 pictures that I own. ;):cool:

Are you still taking photo's during inspections? I see the word "Inspector" removed from your signature.

Are you still taking photo's during inspections? I see the word "Inspector" removed from your signature.

I left the inspection company last March. I am consulting and training these days.
I still receive way too many phone calls each day.

But, I still enjoy going to the jobsites. Only now I meet the inspector for the contractor I am consulting for on some jobs. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I left the inspection company last March. I am consulting and training these days.
I still receive way too many phone calls each day.

But, I still enjoy going to the jobsites. Only now I meet the inspector for the contractor I am consulting for on some jobs. :D

Sounds like a dream job to me. :cool:

sparky105

sony comes with a really good organizer for live and still sony picture utillity comes with canera
downloads from camera, dates file, can view as a calander or an icon view and there is an editor

Status
Not open for further replies.