Condos

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

The scenario is an older condo complex (one big building split up into several units) with separate meters and services on each unit. All the meters connect to a couple common service drops. These do not have appear to have separate water meters, but a common pipe running to all units. Currently a #6 hits the water pipe right by the panel. If I upgrade the service do I have to go back to the main water meter which I can't even find? Which code articles apply.

jes25

I can't wiggle out of it? Can I say the condos are separate buildings, or how about it's not 'available' for use (its probably in some random condo I can't get to) and therefore I just use ground rods for the GE and bond the water piping in that unit; effectively leaving it the same.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The one to ask is the one who will be inspecting the job and answering your question in the long run anyway.

Why not save yourself time and aggravation and ask now? Most inspectors appreciate being asked early on.

Typically, a replacement allows present conditions to remain, but an upgrade requires present-code compliance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.