Customer's electric bill spiked from 500 to 1100 bucks. There not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

I recived a call from a customer that said the cable tv company just left there house and would not replace the coax feeder cable ( after replacing it twice before) due to voltage being detected on it and the jacket on the coax cable had melted off and dripped down the siding of the house. I puller the meter socket and found the line side N terminal burnt up. I replaced socket and customer said electric bill dropped from over $200 a month to under $100.

So the umbalanced current was going thru the ground instead of the neutral? Can anyone explain how this would make your bill go up?:confused:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
has the temp dropped and the customer's heat is running more? a friend called me the other day; his power bill went from $150 to $350. We've had very cold temperatures lately causing the heat to run more. furthering the problem was the fan was a replacement and too large for the unit, and was cooling the strips. this caused the heater to run almost all day.

One-eyed Jack

Mivey, that's a great analogy, well stated and well thought out. Now, if we could stay with that analogy for a moment, if I needed a fast delivery why is my only choice to buy a big truck ? Why couldn't I rent a bigger truck for the short time that I needed it, pay a premium up front and not have to pay finance charges for a month, a year or forever ? I'm not opposed to POCO's making money for their services. I'm opposed to them bagging a customer forever just because they needed a few more KW's than usual one day last June. I'm also opposed to their not making a peak demand rate schedules public. If I charge a customer for work I've done I have to justify my charges.

Seems like a reasonable request. In my area they usually tag the consumer for that month only. At 16.50 kva it can hurt.

Article 90.1

So the umbalanced current was going thru the ground instead of the neutral? Can anyone explain how this would make your bill go up?:confused:

It sounds as if the unbalanced current was going through the coax and finding ground somewhere down the line. did the CATV co. come back and replace the coax? Phone/Catv linemen have strict procedures about voltage on their lines, their safety procedures often forbid them from attempting a repair if there is voltage present on their system.

Status
Not open for further replies.