New load center, loose nuts, screws

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've bought a couple Murray residental panels, 100A & 200A. 1 of the nuts that bolt the main breaker onto the bus was loose. I also removed a hex screw part of the lug & check the phillips screw connection underneath & that wasn't tight enough either...

You guys ever check to make sure a new panel is put together properly, as in the tightness of the lug connection, etc? I'm glad i caught this before I installed it...

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Siemens panels were real bad about that at one time. Part of my routine when hanging a panel was checking the screws that fastened the main breaker stabs to the bus bar, and the ones for the bar that connected the two neutral bars (after go-backs for both).

I usually still check them but don't think I've found any loose lately.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Customer had a new CH pump panel, sold & installed by others, the overloads would trip. After several others failed to find the problem the POCO guys told him to call me. I lucked out when the first FOP revealed factory connections that had never been tightened. There and gone within 30 minutes which also included a short lesson from the customer on people charging to much for their services. Meaning me. I was to dumbfounded to even respond. He had fought the problem for several weeks.

Only new one of CH that we have had problems with.

One-eyed Jack

Customer had a new CH pump panel, sold & installed by others, the overloads would trip. After several others failed to find the problem the POCO guys told him to call me. I lucked out when the first FOP revealed factory connections that had never been tightened. There and gone within 30 minutes which also included a short lesson from the customer on people charging to much for their services. Meaning me. I was to dumbfounded to even respond. He had fought the problem for several weeks.

They hate to admit that you were smart enough to find the problem when they could not. No good deed goes unpunished.:roll:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

Not to worry. You pulled his feet out of the fire. Next time he needs electrical work done, he will call THE CHEAPEST GUY!:)
some folks don't understand or want quality, knowledgable work. It's good you made $$ on that trip.

ElectricianJeff

Siemens panels were real bad about that at one time. Part of my routine when hanging a panel was checking the screws that fastened the main breaker stabs to the bus bar, and the ones for the bar that connected the two neutral bars (after go-backs for both).

I usually still check them but don't think I've found any loose lately.

I had the very same thing happen on a 100 amp Siemens I installed last year. I noticed the arcing when I energized the panel. I have check everyone since and have not experienced it again. I firgured that panel was put together late on a Friday.

macmikeman

Worse yet, I had it happen and didn't catch it on a 200 amp meter/main socket I installed. The screw that attaches the lug to the busbar for the incoming poco feed was able to loosen and caused the lug to ark to the bar. At least it didn't burn the house down.....

Status
Not open for further replies.