Olympia Woman Accused of Try to Shock Husband

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
"OLYMPIA - A woman angry that her husband left her is accused of tampering with his power tools so that when he tried to use his table saw Jan. 1, he received a powerful electrical shock and was "knocked to the ground," court records state."

The article goes on to state:
"After the man was shocked in his wife?s home in the 2700 block of 45th Avenue in Olympia, he confronted her and she ?told him that she had tampered with his tools by switching the positive and negative leads on his tools to intentionally harm him.?

The man, who works as a carrier for the U.S. Postal Service, told investigators with the Thurston County Sheriff?s Office that the table saw carried 220 volts. The ?arch from the plug adapter knocked him into some boxes located along the wall of the work shop,? he told authorities."

OK, now what am I missing? Its a 220 volt saw. How do you switch the positive and negative or probably Line 1 and Line 2? I think she switched a hot and ground. Anyway, the intent was the same....

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/northwest/story/1021867.html?storylink=rss#ixzz0cF7BaGSW

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/northwest/story/1021867.html?storylink=rss#ixzz0cF70lONv

480sparky

"Arch"
emoticon_test_by_vampire_meme.gif

jwjrw

Maybe im missing something but wouldnt the breaker of kicked as soon as he tried to cut the saw on? Maybe not just a thought.

wireguru

Maybe im missing something but wouldnt the breaker of kicked as soon as he tried to cut the saw on? Maybe not just a thought.

no. sounds like she swapped a hot and the ground. If the table saw wasnt bonded to anything else, it would just energize the frame of the saw.

he should have rewired her kitchen to give her a taste of her own medicine...

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
If she knew what she was doing, she'd have swapped the L1 and EGC, and snapped the EGC pin off the cord end. That's the only way the breaker would hold long enough to get him. Guess we can start calling that the "Paulsen-Riat maneuver."

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What struck me about the story (I read it in Saturday's Seattle Times) was her apparent expectation that she would be able to get away with the crime. If it had caused a fatality, as she appears to have expected, the investigation would still have revealed the tampering.

mivey

Ever watch World's Dumbest Criminals? Maybe she will make the grade. Even with a little bit of thought you could come up with some kind of story or better method.

Cold Fusion

What struck me about the story (I read it in Saturday's Seattle Times) was her apparent expectation that she would be able to get away with the crime. If it had caused a fatality, as she appears to have expected, the investigation would still have revealed the tampering.
According to my buddy, a retired Seattle patrcfolman, "If the crooks weren't terminal stupid, we wouldn't have a chance."

His advice to me, if I ever got crossed up with the cops, "Keep your mouth shut."
cf

Status
Not open for further replies.