Class II Division 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAWGS

Can conductors be spliced in a nema 12 wireway located in class II div 2 area? I think they can't because their are no threaded hubs for entering the wireway but I am getting this from the 2005 handbook 502.10(B)(4).:confused: Thanks.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Not sure? It is a rail car coal dumping station at apower plant.
It's probably Group F - I just wanted to make sure it wasn't "E."

The only restriction for Class II, Division 2, Group F would be that the wireway is dusttight [502.10(B)(1)(2) & 502.10(B)(4)] ] and otherwise suitable for the location (indoor/outdoor) and making splices in it. Threaded bosses are a requirement in Division 1.[502.10(A)(4)]

The "Big Issue" in Class II is actually good housekeeping. In Division 2 there's a pretty broad array of acceptable wiring methods if the location is kept in good order.

P.S. Make sure it gets properly documented [500.4(A)]

Last edited:

rg9er

In Division 1, is it permissable to use a Myers-type hub on a standard dusttight enclosure, such as a NEMA Type 3 or 12? The hub manufacturer claims that it is, but I'm not sure how you can get around the requirement for threaded bosses.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
As I did in my original response to the OP, I ask, "What is the Group?" Group E is automatically Division 1 and full threaded connections (enclosure bosses) are necessary both for grounding/bonding, and potential enclosure explosion integrity.

For other Groups, usually, I often see a tendency to overclassify Class II; but a valid Class II, Division 1 still needs bosses as you noted.

As a side comment, I tend to agree that bosses may be a bit of overkill for Group G if proper grounding/bonding is applied, since heat build up becomes a more prevalent concern in Division 1.

In all three Groups, E, F & G, good housekeeping is the best overall option, if at all possible.

W=EI

Coal dust...

Coal dust...

Utility generating plants are exempt from NEC. I would think that the area would be Division 1. Coal dust in a railcar dumping operation will be explosive if suspended in air...same as grain elevators. I would use hubs and bond every part that I could to eliminate spark potential. Might want to check the utility specs and the NESC which would be applicable...

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
While utilities are exempt from the NEC, they still follow the same laws of physics.

As I said, there is a tendency to over-classify Groups F and G. It is especially difficult to create a Class II, Division 1, Group F or G location - even if you try to. I offer NFPA 499 Appendix A, Section A5.2.2 for some explanatory reading. Nothing in the NESC Rule 127A changes that opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.