Need an electric heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

topper

Hope this is ok to post here. I was gone this weekend and I think my oldest left the garage door open over night when it was well below freezing. My garage has Icynene insulation in the walls and along the roof to the peak. Drywall walls and ceilings. I have a sprinkler system in my house. Apparantly if froze sometime over the last couple of days. Fortunately, it did not thaw until I was home. Always though I should have a small electric space heater in the attic with a built in t-stat. I have seen a hanging one before, but am not sure who the manufacturer was. I guess I could use a baseboard heater, but I know someone here will have a good suggestion or two. I am thinking 1500 watts or less, not trying to heat the area, just keep it from freezing. The attic is about 700 square feet. Thanks for your help.

Jim

Buck Parrish

IMO , The attic should be vented. I would recommend just insulating the pipes very well. And make sure the water is circulating. Tied in to the house water.
A heater in the attic is not good. May be heat tape around the pipes.
(This depends on where you live at)

topper

I have not used much heat tape. There are around 100 ft of pipe above the garage. The attic in my house and garage are not vented, they are insulated from the outside and the attic is esentially conditioned space, except for garage which is not conditioned except for the heat coming from the house. The sprinkler pipes are completely separate from the domestic water and do not flow water unless a fire sets off a head.

Why would a heater in an attic be a bad idea? I am not sure why it would be a problem. I hook up heating equipment in attics all the time. I guess if it is a problem I could have a HVAC guy run a small duct into the attic.

mtfallsmikey

If you heat your attic....snow can melt, form ice dams, drive water up underneath your shingles, plus cause some major condensation issues on the underside of your roof.

AV ELECTRIC

I have not used much heat tape. There are around 100 ft of pipe above the garage. The attic in my house and garage are not vented, they are insulated from the outside and the attic is esentially conditioned space, except for garage which is not conditioned except for the heat coming from the house. The sprinkler pipes are completely separate from the domestic water and do not flow water unless a fire sets off a head.

Why would a heater in an attic be a bad idea? I am not sure why it would be a problem. I hook up heating equipment in attics all the time. I guess if it is a problem I could have a HVAC guy run a small duct into the attic.

Heat tape is an easy install with insulating the pipes . Of coarse you have to go up into the attic to do this you can control it with a thermostat and your done I dont like space heaters and especially ones i cant see.

Status
Not open for further replies.