What can this 14/2 be for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

No electrician present during rough inspection. Nothing on the prints in this area which is at the 1st floor ceiling, front of the house. 14/2 and too close to the corner to be for the smokes and barely enough wire to make it to a box. Too high for a sconce and no recessed lights on the prints.

Any guesses, ideas?

IMG_7705.JPG

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hard to say without knowing what's above. Could be a switch leg for future yard lights. Spare wire to an attic, etc.

Looks like it goes thru the floor to a possible down draft range but never got hooked up.

ivsenroute

This is a living room and there is a bedroom above it. Either they made a mistake and ran short with a pull or they will be installing an accessible junction box.

480sparky

You are probably right!:grin:

Are you sure this actually goes somewhere on the other end, or could it just be a scrap 2' chunk of 14/2 someone stuck down an unused hole?

More than once I've done that...... drilled a hole from the upper floor to below, then dropped a scrap into in to make it easily visible once I get roping down below.

Buck Parrish

Are you sure this actually goes somewhere on the other end, or could it just be a scrap 2' chunk of 14/2 someone stuck down an unused hole?

More than once I've done that...... drilled a hole from the upper floor to below, then dropped a scrap into in to make it easily visible once I get roping down below.

That's what it looks like. (from here)

Security101

Could also be that during construction someone broke in to do a quick copper theft, cut that drop, got spooked and left.

I've dealt with many like that and that's what the left over runs look like.

Just sayin, first thing I thought when I saw it... ;)

Jim

nyhockey

No electrician present during rough inspection. Nothing on the prints in this area which is at the 1st floor ceiling, front of the house. 14/2 and too close to the corner to be for the smokes and barely enough wire to make it to a box. Too high for a sconce and no recessed lights on the prints.

Any guesses, ideas?

IMG_7705.JPG

A reason for this post:D

rodneee

look for the marks of extracted romex staples in the bay of the heat duct, if found you can blame the hvac man. if no staple marks no wire was run.

Status
Not open for further replies.