pricing per device exchange project

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

I'll be biding on the replacements of smoke, smoke/Co2, and GFI(kit+bth) replacements in a multple building housing project, and the number of device exchange will vary from one apt to another, so cant calculate time the same for each unit. I'll have to estemate time per/ device exchange. sounds easy, but there will probably be some wasted time between units, but also easy to over estimate. Aprox. 85apts. I could figure 5min. per device. each apt will ave. 5 device exchanges. approx 1/2hr each is what i'm figuring to be safe (also depends on how fast super gets me in and out).

Any suggestions on best way to bid?
Thank you;
Howard Richman

480sparky

I'd take some time on the site finding out what you're going to be up against in the boxes.

You may find it a peice of cake with nice long 8" free conductors and pigtails.

You may find it a nightmare of 2" stubs that are all back-stabbed.

AV ELECTRIC

Are they occupied lost time could be a big problem . Maybe word your contract to get paid for lost time do to the site not being available or renters not prepared or incorrect wiring . If the owners of the property are prepared and schedule correctly they will not be back charged . That keeps your bid low and probably will get you some added charges.

howardrichman

Thank you; I guess that (time waste calc.add.) should be in writing not just verbal. There will be a super to get me into the apts. thru the day. I've done misc. repairs for the owners before and am familiar with many of the units.

HR

ty

We did a similar job.
We scheduled in advance, the tenants were notified in advance, but when we would show up, they wouldn't be ready.
There was always some that had stuff in the way.

We went into one that had been vacated and there was food all over the place. There was even a rotting, liquified turkey sitting on the counter. The smell was horrible, and my guys refused to work in it, so we lost time on that one (definately was not expecting that.)

Half an hour to an hour each unit, should be enough time, butthere are always variables, and unforseen obsticales.

quogueelectric

I'll be biding on the replacements of smoke, smoke/Co2, and GFI(kit+bth) replacements in a multple building housing project, and the number of device exchange will vary from one apt to another, so cant calculate time the same for each unit. I'll have to estemate time per/ device exchange. sounds easy, but there will probably be some wasted time between units, but also easy to over estimate. Aprox. 85apts. I could figure 5min. per device. each apt will ave. 5 device exchanges. approx 1/2hr each is what i'm figuring to be safe (also depends on how fast super gets me in and out).

Any suggestions on best way to bid?
Thank you;
Howard Richman
I would try just under .75 hrs per device. You will find all kinds of crap in your way and entry delays to be added and documented so it doesnt cost you when the super disapears for 3 hrs. I am thinking .7 will get you the job a little less as you move further south.

wireguru

dont forget the one tenant who will claim you broke their new flat screen tv (or something of that nature)

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
You might be able to change the device in 5 minutes, but you still have all your move-in, and move-out time to account for. If you were doing this on open floor with a cart for supplies and a trash can I would still allow 10 minutes or more. What happens when you find out the trim rings are painted to the ceiling and need to be cut down? Your time also does not account for trying to find the breaker that controls the circuit or moving furniture out of the way and back again.

aline

I like to include a seperate unit price for replacing boxes as well.
Sometimes when changing devices the box is broken or when installing a GFCI it's too small.
I've replaced light fixtures before only to find out there isn't a box after pulling the fixture down.

I also state that repairs to the wiring are not included in the price of the device change out. If wiring repairs are needed they'll get an estimate on what it will cost to repair the wiring before I do the work.

480sparky

Don't forget about the tenants that inevitably will hover around you like moths at a porch light........ asking questions, seeking advice, generally being a pita.:mad:

rodneee

a 5 min per device estimate seems unlikely to hold up over the whole project. it would not surprise me to find you had to spend time clearing dishes from kitchen counters and moving furniture.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Since you have done work for them previously, you probably know this not to be the case, but be aware of the possibility of Aluminum wiring.
On a number of similar projects here, the E/Cs discovered the original job was Al or Cu coated AL thus changing the scope considerably.
(One E/C completed 60+ units without addressing the AL situation before he called for any inspections)

howardrichman

Thanks for reply;
the GFI is a replacement-existing box should be sufficient
all copper wiring
will have 1 bucket w/devices
1 bucket for disposals

So far i'm figuring on 10min./device to be safe
will stipulate additional charges for additional rewire
or device box replace or retroffit.
approx. 83 apts. total-358 dev. have to figure out a competitive rate per hr.??
comes out to 60hrs

HR...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I wish you better luck that I have inspecting such jobs. Even with management's assistance, it oftens takes me longer than 10 minutes for the tennants to allow access and clear me a pathway just to look at the work that was done. (illeagls substances must be moved, clothing located, animals secured, etc.)

bradleyelectric

Are you allowing any time to drive to the location? How about get material? Are the buckets of devices going to be at the individual units that need to be worked or will you need to get them from a location and return or dispose of trash? Will you need to get the ladder from the truck and carry it or will there be no ladder work with the smoke detectors? Why not allow enough time to do everything it will actually take you to do from the time you leave your house, shop or box? What is your cost of being in business? Why would you want to time this so tight you can't be compensated for all the time it actually takes?

howardrichman

They're supplying the devices. I did spend time assisting w/material order. The drive there is less than 10min.. I could figure additional time per device for waste time between units. Considering this to be a job of basic skills, it will be competitively priced.

Thanks for replies;
HR...

MJW

I did some work at some family housing dorm units at a university. Here is some of what we found. This is after being told over and over that we were coming and to be ready. We also walked in on more than one person who was sleeping and didn't hear us knock. Sorry for the photo quality but I think you will get the idea.

12-30-05_1636.jpg

12-30-05_1635.jpg

peter d

I have worked in my fair share of apartments and condos and one thing I have learned is that the logistics of working in them is the real time killer, much more so than the actual electrical work itself. Dealing with tenants an their mess can be a big problem as has been stated. Based on my own experiences I would factor in lots of extra time for "tenant issues." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.