Square conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razzap

Has anyone seen this type of raceway before? This is a 100 amp service from a pole mounted meter to an occupied residence. At first I though it was homemade conduit using 2 inch square tubing, but looking at it closer, the weatherheads are designed to fit on square tubing. It is difficult to see because of all the Tarzan vines. The two hot wires are festooned together, the ?neutral? is run on separate insulators, and is bare #10 all the way to the panel. No white insulated wire anywhere. Was this square tubing raceway common at one time?

jwjrw

How could that ever of been legal without a meter hub? If I hadn't seen the weatherhead I wouldn't of belived that story. You know square conduit lol.

skeshesh

Where's Augie when you need him to explain what will surely prove to be a lesson in electrical installation prehistory?! (just kidding Gus don't ban me!)

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I think we are looking at power company work and equipment.

Look closely at the meter socket as well, it is set up for those tubes.

Look at the straps and notice they fasten to some other bracket that goes down to the meter as well.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I've seen that sq Tubing used as service risers on a commercial shopping center built in the early 1960s in Battle Creek Michigan and on a few houses in "Wellville".

Razzap

The pictures are from an elderly farm house in Michigan. The two "conduits" are continuous, no couplings or joints, about 12 or 14 feet long. The meter is mounted on two vertical angle iron supports, bolted to the wood pole. The meter enclosure is a double, but only one set of conductors to the house. There might have been some sort of gasket material between the end of the conduit and the top of the meter. It is so badly weathered it is hard to tell. If I get the chance to change out the sevice, maybe I will find some more clues.

Status
Not open for further replies.