Pass or Fail Real Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

If you were an inspector would you fail this?

IMG_0330.JPG

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Here:
Most probably fail on the length of unprotected SE {unsure where it goes above but we enforce a 3 ft (inside) rule}
If you passed on NM support you would, at least, get your knuckles wrapped.

nhfire77

Oops, almost forgot I MUST provide a code reference so no one has to look it up themselves.

334.30 NFPA 70

You also should post the reference so we can understand your side. We Like to have a discussion, we all have opinions and your picuture without a reference doesn't show want you are getting at. If your post included a dog in it, and your title was, what's wrong with this picture? I might assume the dog isn't supposed to be there.

And that NM needs staples, too

Last edited:

M. D.

Violation ,.. and what about the duct? fail fail fail fail fail I say fail them all!!!

nhfire77

Would failing the installation be nit-picking in real life?

That would depend. I'm not an inspector, but if the job was neat and proper everywhere else, I'd ask for it to be properly secured and leave it. But, I have a problem with authority ;)

SEO

I always write a violation for an install like that. There is no excuse not to secure the cables per section 334.30

1. Most likely this installation is not unsafe.

With that said there are a few of thoughts that I want to point out.

1. Even though this install may not lead to a disaster in regards to the well being of the occupants, there are other considerations.

2. The next electrician will possibly ask, "how did that pass inspection?"

3. The building department personnel are better trained in regards to electrical (I should know, I am training them around these parts ;):cool:). The BO may say, " if he can't get this simple inspection correct, what about more complex installations?"

4. The property owner has paid for work to be completed in a proper man ner. He/she may develop doubts and go after both the EI and the BO. I have seen this happen in "real life", as has been asked by the OP.

5. As I have mentioned before, where does the inspector draw the line? I have learned it is not up to the inspector to draw a line, just to follow codes and then no one gets upset or feels they are being picked on at their particular job. Code is code is code.
Inspectors generally do not write the codes, they enforce them.

6. This is such an easy part of the NEC to follow, I do not understand why the installer puts himself in the position to force the inspector to write a violation about something that should never surface to begin with.

7. By enforcing the code more consistently, everyone will suffer the same fate.

TOOL_5150

I would fail it - there is NO reason to not put a 2x4 back there and staple those HR's like the code book tells us to.

In real life, I know they are not going anywhere, but its in the code book - we got to follow the rules.

~Matt

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Pierre,
I don''t disagree with you, but would like to enter another thought. I've
inspected for a number of years, some of that time in a municipality with strict enforcement and strict licensing requirements. I've also inspected in rural areas where licensing was lenient and "homeowner" wiring is allowed. I think to some degree the inspector has to adapt to the environment and perhaps wear the "training hat" also.
If I used the same enforcement techniques in the "unlicensed" areas as I did in the City I would have a 90% rejection rate and limited employment.
I have had to prioritize on your #1 point "is it safe". Beyond that I have found it necessary to point out Code violations that are consistent for the area and caution that those are not going to be acceptable. Over time, the quality improves.
I'm not advocating my approach or saying it's "better" it's just different by necessity...I have had to adopt an approach somewhat like a "warning ticket".

__dan

Banned
Not rated for use

Not rated for use

The anchors are powder actuated tool nails shot into the block. PAT nails are not rated for hollow wall, probably not rated for block even in the solid (shattering). The OSB board is rated for 30 days of moisture, not 30 years. The OSB looks flat on the wall, no airspace or moisture resistant backer required for damp location.

The install will fail by itself when the board falls off the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.