Fire rated walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

newt

Im trying to find an article that in the code, it has to deal with the placement of outlets that are back to back. One in the garage and the other in the house it has to do with the fire rating of the wall. Any help would be greatly appeciated.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Im trying to find an article that in the code, it has to deal with the placement of outlets that are back to back. One in the garage and the other in the house it has to do with the fire rating of the wall. Any help would be greatly appeciated.

A residential garage wall does not come under the same requirements as a rated wall (assembly). A garage / house wall is simply a modified fire wall. You now also are only required to have 1/2" drywall on the garage side.

raider1

Staff member
You won't find such a code section in the NEC.

This situation would be addressed by the building codes.

I would recommend checking with your local AHJ for the requirements in your area because the requirements can be very different from area to area.

If you are working under the IRC (International Residential Code) then there is nothing that prohibits installing boxes back to back in the garage separation wall. The IRC does not treat this wall as a true fire rated assembly, but instead requires 1/2" sheetrock or equivalent to be installed on the garage side of the wall.

Hope this helps

Chris

david

FPN: Directories of electrical construction materials published by qualified testing laboratories contain many listing installation restrictions necessary to maintain the fire-resistive rating of assemblies where penetrations or openings are made. Building codes also contain restrictions on membrane penetrations on opposite sides of a fire resistance?rated wall assembly. An example is the 600-mm (24-in.) minimum horizontal separation that usually applies between boxes installed on opposite sides of the wall. Assistance in complying with 830.26 can be found in building codes, fire resistance directories, and product listings.

newt

Thanks for the info I think its a bad idea to have back to back plastic nail on boxes in a fire rated wall even if its residential.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You won't find such a code section in the NEC.

This situation would be addressed by the building codes.

I would recommend checking with your local AHJ for the requirements in your area because the requirements can be very different from area to area.

If you are working under the IRC (International Residential Code) then there is nothing that prohibits installing boxes back to back in the garage separation wall. The IRC does not treat this wall as a true fire rated assembly, but instead requires 1/2" sheetrock or equivalent to be installed on the garage side of the wall.

Hope this helps

Chris

That's what I said. :D

ivsenroute

FYI

ElecBoxFireRate.jpg

raider1

Staff member
Jeff,

That does not apply to the garage wall in a single family dwelling installed in accordance with the IRC.

What you have posted is for fire rated dwelling unit separation walls of multi family dwellings or townhomes.

Chris

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I know, you just said it faster than I did.:D

Chris

Ok then just making sure your weren't just stealing my thunder.:grin:

Though I did give a shorter answer, it's still nice when someone actually agrees on this site.:roll:

And Jeff I agree with Chris again.

(sorry for the duplicate)

Status
Not open for further replies.