Doorbell transformer in attic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

On this special day I was accompanied by another inspector who failed this very neat, workmanlike job. It is an attic and a doorbell transformer. Anyone care to guess why he failed it?

IMG_1709.JPG

Cavie

The transformer is stamped with the words "do not install in attic". I have seen 100's of then that say that. Would you want a GFI in your attic? I would call it "not accessible"

electricmanscott

The transformer is stamped with the words "do not install in attic". I have seen 100's of then that say that. Would you want a GFI in your attic? I would call it "not accessible"

If it does indeed say that I guess that's a good enough reason.

It's as accessible as anything else installed in an attic.

Other than that my guess is the inspector was having a bad day and found someone who he thought should suffer for it.

The real question is why waste a perfectly good GFCI receptacle in an attic?

ty

Very common install in North Jersey years ago, except the transformer would have been mounted to a metal box for a pullchain light.

I like the antenna that was made by wrapping the green wire back around the jacket.

mivey

Very common install in North Jersey years ago, except the transformer would have been mounted to a metal box for a pullchain light.

I like the antenna that was made by wrapping the green wire back around the jacket.
That was an attempt at a noise choke.

mivey

The transformer is stamped with the words "do not install in attic". I have seen 100's of then that say that.
And I have seen hundreds in attics, still going strong.
Would you want a GFI in your attic? I would call it "not accessible"
Probably not too convenient if the doorbell quits working. Real convenient if you are working in the attic.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

If there is HVAC equipment in the attic a receptacle is required by 210.63 (2008 NEC)
but it is not required to be GFI.

Jim W in Tampa

The violation is the transformer is marked not for attics. I really don't see any hazard and likely marked to lower the number failing under warranty. This is not something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.