250.122(F) Parallel Equipment Grounding Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccarr7

Hi,

I'd like to see how some of you interpret 250.122(F) in terms of whether the section is outlawing the use of the conduit as the means of equipment grounding for parallel conduit runs, or if it's stating that if you choose to utilize conductors (wires) then its requirements apply.

For example if I had twenty feet of two parallel 2" rigid steel conduits with four conductors (3-phases, 1-neutral) in each from main panel to sub-panel, can I still rely on the conduits as the equipment conductors?

Thanks,
Creig

jumper

Hi,

I'd like to see how some of you interpret 250.122(F) in terms of whether the section is outlawing the use of the conduit as the means of equipment grounding for parallel conduit runs, or if it's stating that if you choose to utilize conductors (wires) then its requirements apply.

For example if I had twenty feet of two parallel 2" rigid steel conduits with four conductors (3-phases, 1-neutral) in each from main panel to sub-panel, can I still rely on the conduits as the equipment conductors?

Thanks,
Creig

See bold. The code section says "conductors,where used", not shall be used. RMC is is legal as an EGC.

nakulak

yes

250.122 F says ". . .equipment grounding conductors, where used, ..." meaning where conductors are used.

It does not say that 250.120 no longer applies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
yes

250.122 F says ". . .equipment grounding conductors, where used, ..." meaning where conductors are used.

It does not say that 250.120 no longer applies.
The issue with that wording is that equipment grounding conductors are always used. I know that the intent is for EGCs of the wire type, but that is not what the section says. Per 250.118, the conduit is an equipment grounding conductor. 250.122(A) has it correct, but the rest of 250.122 does not.

ccarr7

Thanks...

Your responses jive with my interpretation, as well. It's good sometimes to make sure that others with knowledge in this field are interpreting certain sections of the code the same way.

erickench

If the conduit were nonmetallic you would have to run a separate ground wire. If the conduit is metallic then a separate ground would not be necessary unless it was an isolated ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.