Knowing Your Worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

This is just a question to throw out there:

How do you know your worth?

Do you go to Monster.com? Do you ask other companies if your employer is paying you fairly?

Do you just take whatever your employer is willing to give you?

Just a thought on my mind.

nakulak

you keep your eye on the ball and watch out for #1. If your employer isn't taking care of you, but you are always taking care of him, then maybe you should be looking. Keep your resume updated always, and keep a list of pros and cons always. Whether or not your employer gives you reviews, review yourself every 6 mos. Ask yourself how you are doing. Ask yourself if you deserve a raise. Compare yourself with the best guy(s) in your company and try to see what your weaknesses are, and work towards being the best. Give yourself the opportunities to learn new skills, and get better at the skills you have. Learn the latest technologies, learn the latest codes. Stay in demand, then you can demand the best compensation.

drbond24

My uncle is a realtor and he told me that it doesn't matter what your house appraises for, it is only worth what you can get someone to pay you for it.

Your worth is much the same. You could be doing exactly the same work at two different places and be getting paid very differently. If you're unhappy with your compensation, look around. Also, remember there is a lot more to consider than the actual number that is your salary. Benefits, whether or not you enjoy your work, etc.

Sharpie

DR,

I agree with that. You might see salaries all over the chart, but in the end you are worth what someone is willing to pay.

jumper

How do you know your worth.

It is what I can negotiate with my employer and is reflected in my salary

How do you know your worth.
Somewhere between what your Mom and your ex-wife will say.

I asked my wife and her response ended in " less":)

My uncle is a realtor and he told me that it doesn't matter what your house appraises for, it is only worth what you can get someone to pay you for it.

Your worth is much the same. You could be doing exactly the same work at two different places and be getting paid very differently. If you're unhappy with your compensation, look around. Also, remember there is a lot more to consider than the actual number that is your salary. Benefits, whether or not you enjoy your work, etc.

Yep.

nhfire77

I cannot state exactly what I am worth.

But, I am underpaid.:)

(there is always room for improvement (negotiation)

nyhockey

This is just a question to throw out there:

How do you know your worth?

Do you go to Monster.com? Do you ask other companies if your employer is paying you fairly?

Do you just take whatever your employer is willing to give you?

Just a thought on my mind.

You know the devil you got, the grass is always greenier.

Get it

How do I know what I'm worth? Well to my dogs I might as well be the sun god.

I don't want to be trite or evade your question but what does "worth" mean? Can you get paid more by someone else? Should you have more vacation time? Should your jobs be more personally fullfilling? There are a pile more qualifications you could put in there.

mivey

Between $0.01 and $0.05. Sometimes I get a penny for my thoughts, I give my two cents worth, and some would not give me a plug nickle for what I think. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.