Swith grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

Home owner bought a fan I believe was Hampton Bay that came with a dimmer switch for the motor, we relocate this swich and we did some other work in the house, and he did not inspected the swicth box which was fished but knowing that we did that switch he wanted to see the bonding, ok I said, opened the box showed the bonding and I just noticed with him that the swith did not have a grounding connection, no screw, no green wire either,my guy installed that one and forgot to tell me this particular situation. Inspector said I need to ground that switch, I said ok no problem, it will be done for the final, So I tried to ground that freaking dimmer and it is impossible, the only metal part available touches the area of support, anything that I put there make the dimmer touch unevenly the wall. Now thinking outloud iisn't this dimmer listed as is it whithout ground? It is part of the fan assembly. What you think guys? (Sorry for the long post).

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Home owner bought a fan I believe was Hampton Bay that came with a dimmer switch for the motor, we relocate this swich and we did some other work in the house, and he did not inspected the swicth box which was fished but knowing that we did that switch he wanted to see the bonding, ok I said, opened the box showed the bonding and I just noticed with him that the swith did not have a grounding connection, no screw, no green wire either,my guy installed that one and forgot to tell me this particular situation. Inspector said I need to ground that switch, I said ok no problem, it will be done for the final, So I tried to ground that freaking dimmer and it is impossible, the only metal part available touches the area of support, anything that I put there make the dimmer touch unevenly the wall. Now thinking outloud iisn't this dimmer listed as is it whithout ground? It is part of the fan assembly. What you think guys? (Sorry for the long post).

I don't think it needs to be grounded unless a metal part of the dimmer could become energized. If it is UL listed without a ground, it is compliant. You could use plastic 6-32 plate screws which would isolate anybody using the switch from coming into contact with any metal part, but that would just be pandering.

Ask your inspector why you can buy a metal lamp that doesn't have a grounding pin.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Use a grounded metal box and you're good. The 6-32" screws are permitted to ground a switch to a grounded metal box.

mtnelectrical

that is exactly what he said and I knew that too. but it is an old work plastic box, wall painted and all . Changing to a metal box would be more work that I do not want to do if it is not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.