Safety watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
My plant recently hired a new safety engineer and he has rolled out a policy that requires a qualified person to have a "safety watch" whenever an electrical panel is open, no matter what the voltage is.

Is there anywhere that states that a "safety watch" person is required when a qualified person is testing or troubleshooting an electrical circuit? Is there anywhere that a safety watch is mentioned at all?

:-?:-?:-?

Have you ever tried to get someone to come and stand behind you every time you have to open an electrical panel no matter what for? Probably not.

zog

My plant recently hired a new safety engineer and he has rolled out a policy that requires a qualified person to have a "safety watch" whenever an electrical panel is open, no matter what the voltage is.

Is there anywhere that states that a "safety watch" person is required when a qualified person is testing or troubleshooting an electrical circuit? Is there anywhere that a safety watch is mentioned at all?

OSHA has rules for this but only for >600V.

There is also an OSHA rule that a CPR trained person has to be available (Within 4 minute response time) when working >50V

However it is a great idea and you should be glad someone is there. Now get on his good side and recommend that person is CPR qualified.

WorkSafe

Why do people always question change? If the safety engineer put a policy in place, that should be the end of it unless then policy in itself, creates a hazard. I tell my workers to suck it up and quick complaining. The engineer prolly experienced a past situation where having a "watcher" would have helped in a emergency and this implemented the policy at the workplace.

nakulak

Have you ever tried to get someone to come and stand behind you every time you have to open an electrical panel no matter what for? Probably not.

well, if they are going to stand behind you the plan might not work. It might be better if they were standing nearby though.

richxtlc

I think this is what the safety officer is using.

1910.335(b)(3)

Attendants. If signs and barricades do not provide sufficient warning and protection from electrical hazards, an attendant shall be stationed to warn and protect employees.

Pavlovsky

How long have you been working? OSHA sets 'minimum' safety standards for occupational and health oversight. I would tread lightly on the subject with your company. Establish a good working relationship with your Safety Director. He doesn't have any idea what level of safety knowledge and practice you command. He is simply making a safer environment.

1910.335(b)(3)

Attendants. If signs and barricades do not provide sufficient warning and protection from electrical hazards, an attendant shall be stationed to warn and protect employees.

Thank you for your reply. You are the only one who actually answered the question.

I am not saying that having a safety watch is not a good thing, only that it is impractical when there is not sufficient manpower or money to assign a shadow to every electrician in the plant.

cpal

I am not saying that having a safety watch is not a good thing, only that it is impractical when there is not sufficient manpower or money to assign a shadow to every electrician in the plant.

who controls the pocketbook? you or the safety person?

pfalcon

Why do people always question change? If the safety engineer put a policy in place, that should be the end of it unless then policy in itself, creates a hazard. I tell my workers to suck it up and quick complaining. The engineer prolly experienced a past situation where having a "watcher" would have helped in a emergency and this implemented the policy at the workplace.

Change should always be questioned. Not derisively or resisted. Many proposals for change are never examined for their consequence. Such as here where the company burden has increased by paying a second man for nominally doing nothing 99.999% of the time. A company that is struggling can end up bankrupt from decisions like this.

How long have you been working? OSHA sets 'minimum' safety standards for occupational and health oversight. I would tread lightly on the subject with your company. Establish a good working relationship with your Safety Director. He doesn't have any idea what level of safety knowledge and practice you command. He is simply making a safer environment.

I agree with treading lightly. That should be the response to any safety item. I disagree with the idea that the environment was made safer. Work in a panel is done with a lockout. Are we waiting for him to fall down?

zog

I agree with treading lightly. That should be the response to any safety item. I disagree with the idea that the environment was made safer. Work in a panel is done with a lockout. Are we waiting for him to fall down?

Agreed, no need for de-energized work after the equipment has been placed in an electrically safe working condition.

fondini

When the panel is opened and a person is posted as saftey watch,you would need proper barricades or the person would have to betask qualified with fr clothing rated 0-4 depending on the task. Sorry dont know if its an osha requirement, but if the saftey officer put it in your saftey plan, which is an osha requirement, then yes you have to comply.

Don S.

My experience has been that when you discuss issues with the safety guy in a calm, serious manner it pays dividends. You will find out what his motivation is for a specific requirement and once you gain his respect, he?ll listen to you. There?ll be lots more opportunities for the electrician with credibility to help the safety guy make the sensible call on a variety of issues.

richxtlc

Part of the original question:
"Is there anywhere that states that a "safety watch" person is required when a qualified person is testing or troubleshooting an electrical circuit? Is there anywhere that a safety watch is mentioned at all?"

1910.335(b)(3)

If you follow the original question, the person is working in a live electrical panel (troubleshooting and testing), therefore, as stated above, if you cannot provide sufficient warning or protection then an attendant SHALL be stationed. That work SHALL means it is mandatory by OSHA, and not opened to discussion.

Don S.

If signs and barricades do not provide sufficient warning and protection from electrical hazards, an attendant shall be stationed to warn and protect employees.

This exactly why the electrician needs to discuss the issue, in a professional manner, with the safety engineer. To negotiate an acceptable alternative to tying up additional manpower un-necessarily.

wtucker

If the person doing the work is a contractor, he should realize that even though the attendant is an added expense, it's an expense added to everyone who works in that plant, so the guys who want to be safe aren't bidding against cowboys. Equal rules for all.

If it's in-house and the safety guy has the approval of upper management, then clearly upper management has made the business decision to spend the money on safety. Follow the Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold makes the rules.

Either way, it sounds like a good job for an apprentice...

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
We used to do it, but the customers complained about having to pay for the extra man, and our competition was ready to do it (not have an attendant) to undercut our price. A lot of our work is in public view, so someone is always watching, though probaly not qualified. Since the public does have access to our working areas, all covers have to be re-installed regardless of how short of time our tech leaves the area. Short of building a concrete wall, the public will try to get into the area you are working in.

richxtlc

We used to do it, but the customers complained about having to pay for the extra man, and our competition was ready to do it (not have an attendant) to undercut our price. A lot of our work is in public view, so someone is always watching, though probaly not qualified. Since the public does have access to our working areas, all covers have to be re-installed regardless of how short of time our tech leaves the area. Short of building a concrete wall, the public will try to get into the area you are working in.
It's a tough choice as to whether or not to have an attendent when you cannot barricade the work are sufficiently to protect both the worker and the public from accidently coming in contact with a live electrical circuit. But if you think the cost is high wait until you get the bill is someone gets hurt.
If your competition is stupid enough to work unsafely why are you willing to follow them? OSHA will not be concerned with your additional costs and if someone dies there may be criminal penalities that go along with the civil penalities. You knew the risks and did nothing to prevent them.

Status
Not open for further replies.