Bonding of CSST

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwjrw

I do alot of jobs with the same plumber and if im not I do ask. I a rough time bonding one where I didnt before I could get a final.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician

Can anyone say it in a sentence or two?

Ok...I'll try again. Around here, all we do is tap the GEC with a #6 or come off of the neutral bar and hit the gas pipe nearest the point of entrance after the dielectric coupling. I place the clamp directly on the nut of the CSST connector if possible otherwise IMHO bonding directly to the black pipe bonds any CSST taps downstream also.

electricmanscott

Ok...I'll try again. Around here, all we do is tap the GEC with a #6 or come off of the neutral bar and hit the gas pipe nearest the point of entrance after the dielectric coupling. I place the clamp directly on the nut of the CSST connector if possible otherwise IMHO bonding directly to the black pipe bonds any CSST taps downstream also.

I don't think I would clamp anything to the nut nor do I think it's a good idea for anyone to do that.

Clamp to the black pipe or manifold if there is one.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Around here, all we do is tap the GEC with a #6 or come off of the neutral bar and hit the gas pipe nearest the point of entrance after the dielectric coupling.
So the whole idea is just to make sure the internal gas piping is bonded ala water piping bonding. How does that protect the CSST from damage inside the building?

It seems that such bonding would increase the likelihood of a branch circuit's accidental energization of an appliance causing the CSST to carry some of the fault current.

It would make more sense to me to bypass each length of CSST with a bonding conductor, solidly tying solid pipe to solid pipe, not that I'd want to have to do it.

Isn't the gas-service-to-electrical-service bond already supposed to be in place whether CSST is used or not in a commercial establishment, like a restaurant?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
So the whole idea is just to make sure the internal gas piping is bonded ala water piping bonding. How does that protect the CSST from damage inside the building?

Larry....The main reason for CCST bonding is to prevent voltage from a lightning strike to energize the piping. The best place to bond would be outside therefore keeping the voltage from entering the building if the GES works as planned.

Cavie

It seems that such bonding would increase the likelihood of a branch circuit's accidental energization of an appliance causing the CSST to carry some of the fault current.

It would make more sense to me to bypass each length of CSST with a bonding conductor, solidly tying solid pipe to solid pipe, not that I'd want to have to do it.

Isn't the gas-service-to-electrical-service bond already supposed to be in place whether CSST is used or not in a commercial establishment, like a restaurant?

Seems the experts are saying they are finding holes in the flex caused by lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.