panel rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinaway1

How many amps can be drawn thru a 3 phase panel, fed from a 3 pole 100 amp breaker? Customer wants to know how much capacity is available for new equipment. Amp meter shows it currently drawing 175 amps. 60/60/55 per respective phase. Would it be total of 300A?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If this is a 208Y/120 volt panel, you could have 3-120 volt, single phase loads of 100 amps each.

jwjrw

How do you figure that? How bout if you had one 120v load and one 208 load? What code #?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The most common answer would be 60 amps.
You have to look at it in more than 1 way. As infinity states, if all the loads were 120 volt then you would have the capacity of (3) 100 amp 120 volt loads.
Loads are more often looked at in kw. Your panel has the capacity of 36.1 kw.
So you would first look at your total load in kw, but then make sure, if thery are single phase loads, that you don't place more than 100 amps per phase.
I hope that makes sense.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
How do you figure that? How bout if you had one 120v load and one 208 load? What code #?

It basically boils down to the fact that there is 36000 watts available from the panel and they can be distributed any way as long as any one phase doesn't have to supply more than 12000 watts, this is not governed by any code, just physics.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
It basically boils down to the fact that there is 36000 watts available from the panel and they can be distributed any way as long as any one phase doesn't have to supply more than 12000 watts, this is not governed by any code, just physics.

I agree we have to forget about amps and think watts.

(And I am not sucking up:grin:)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Amp meter shows it currently drawing 175 amps. 60/60/55 per respective phase. Would it be total of 300A?
This is not drawing 175 amps. Others have said something similar, but let me clearly state that you don't add amps to amps and get amps. Three-phase systems simply do not work that way. The amps in Phase A are not the same as the amps on Phase B, and neither is the same as the amps on Phase C, nor for that matter are the voltages that drive each of the three currents. Each phase current reaches its peak values at different times, so you can't simply add them up to get at "total."

gmtt

Assuming that loads are continuous, 80% of 100 or 80A the most you can draw per phase. You can connect a new 3-phase load of more than 7.2KW (20*120*3) plus an additional load of .6 kw in phase drawing 55A. In other words 1-ph, 3-ph combination load of total of 7.8 KW of additional load. If all load are non continuous (running no more than 3 hours continuously) then you can load up to 100% of the rating pushing to 40*120+40*120+45*120=15kw of new load.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This is not drawing 175 amps. Others have said something similar, but let me clearly state that you don't add amps to amps and get amps. Three-phase systems simply do not work that way. The amps in Phase A are not the same as the amps on Phase B, and neither is the same as the amps on Phase C, nor for that matter are the voltages that drive each of the three currents. Each phase current reaches its peak values at different times, so you can't simply add them up to get at "total."

But would it be incorrect to say that if all of the loads are 120 volts that you have "used up" (lack of a better term) 175 amps of the 300 amp, 120 volt ampacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.