Light Pole Hand Holes Beware!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunt4679

Was doing some troubleshooting at a walmart here in NE Ohio, Tracing back the circuit I had turned off trying to find which pole it was fed from. The one pole I looked in before I stuck my hand in was this one Good thing! 480 volts across these wires. Was this done to cause a problem, Hurt someone, or someone is just stupid. This was done a few years ago during a major remodel of the store, found it last week! Just want to warn anyone reaching into a handhole without looking.
Jason

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
That certainly looks like an intent to injur. Probably worth running by law enforcement and the local inspector. It shouldn't be hard to find out at least what outfit did that work.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
"intent to injure" ??
I don't see that. What am I missing. Improper identification of conductors is a viollation but most likely here just a case of "stupid"....
where is the willful intent ?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Nopoe... Looked three times and didn't until you pointed it out.
does make one wonder doesn't it.

jeremysterling

Thanks for the pics and the warning.

Also, beware that remote control breakers like the ones used to control parking lot lights can open one leg instead of both. The light circuit can be "open", yet hazardous voltage will be present in the hand-hole. Even when the Novar system is set to "off".

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
If that install is supposed to be some electricians idea of a joke he's in the wrong business. The pictures show a blatant lack of concern for safety and an intent to at least cause a shocking experience.

mivey

I have never seen that before. Thanks for the tip as I would never expect that.

Of course, I don't go fishing in blind holes either 'cause I have seen too many cases of bad insulation. This will make me look even closer.

e57

Here in the city I'm in - homeless super geniuses tap into street lighting circuits in a similar way (which are tapped from local POCO secondaries W/O OCP) and they run discarded hot plates and microwaves from them. I assume some dope tried the same and figured he busted his microwave (after the smoke got let out of it.) and moved on to a new trash heap find and source of power for it.

Last edited:

dduffee260

Have you ever noticed how those stores are built? Slapped together in about 6 months. I have worked on a couple and the craftsmanship was pretty poor on the electrical. As far as the wires I do not believe I would ever stick my hand in a live pole without gloves of some kind.

Rich R

Can you imagine grabbing that causing them to bang phases ? Lose a few fingers for sure at least.

I vote no on the homless guy theory, those wires look too cleanly stripped, I think that was done on purpose by some sick mofo

Kessler4130

I vote they were made up by a first-day apprentice with no supervision.

I agree, this was most likely not intentional, just someone uneducated, unfamiliar and unsupervised, doing what they thought was their job. Hopefully this person will move onto an outfit that will better instruct him, or start asking questions instead of assuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.