Is anyone else seeing more metal studs being used in residential remodeling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjp_ne_elec

I have seen quite a few more jobs where the GC is using metal studs in renovations. I'm wondering if anyone else is noticing that as well. Back before I got my Masters, I worked mainly commercial, and it was most jobs I would see metal studs.

What are the ones who do run in to them using to punch holes in the studs, and then what is your preference for insulating the hole? Also what is your preferred method for mounting boxes?

When I worked for the commercial EC, we had a nice Greenlee punch for the job of creating the holes to run EMT through. Then we would use another punch to punch holes to slide a support bar through and we'd mount our 4" squares to those. Caddy does make a clip - one that goes to the stud and then to stop the box from twisting in, there is a clip that basically support the box from twisting by landing on the sheet rock side opposite the box. Wonder is someone has some more economical solutions - as it's much cheaper using nail-ons if there are wood studs.

charlietuna

Metal studs are all straight -- easily cut without electricity and leave no sawdust. And there are many things you can do with metal that you can't with wood !

macmikeman

Formosan termites do not much care for the taste of them. That drives the majority of the usage in my area. Remodels that are in reality termite repair jobs have a great tendency to use metal studs in the "remodel".

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Cutting them with a hacksaw or tin snips is easy?

Yes it is. Why would you use a hack saw? Are you reffering to structural guage steel?

Tin snips are the way to go. I can frame a drop ceiling with metal way quicker than with wood.

~Shado~

Yes....wasn't too sure I liked it at first. But labor wise I think it works out about the same, since you don't need to drill out studs.

I use a stud punch, and hole saw for the hard to get areas.
Bushings...
Boxes...if I am using Romex....I use bracket boxes and Colorado Jim clips.
If I am using MC...then 4s boxes and mud rings, etc....

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've seen them as mentioned mostly in basements. They're much better than wood where structural support is not required. When finishing my own basement I used all metal studs. They also come in smaller sizes for tight spots like 1 5/8" and 2 1/2". Faster, cheaper and of course, straighter. :)

growler

Wonder is someone has some more economical solutions - as it's much cheaper using nail-ons if there are wood studs.

My solution is simple, I charge more to work with metal studs than I do for wood studs and this covers the extra cost.

Don't worry the GC will still save money by useing metal studs. The only reason that more GCs don't use metal studs for basement remodels is there are not that many residential framers that are used to useing metal but it is the way to go ( cheaper and faster ).

nakulak

30 yrs ago my boss decided to try using metal studs for the interior walls when we raised his roof. we insulated the walls well, but the sound transmission makes them a bad choice for residential.

Regularkevin

We just finished The Bravern in Bellevue and the whole place is metal studs. My EC used the MODEX system which was a complete nightmare.

We used plenty of CJs and spreader bars. I am a personal fan of the Mac clips which work really well for making the MC look clean and you can secure the wire in several ways.

Rich R

Yeah they have been using metal studs here in florida for at least 30 years, although I have noticed the quality/thickness of the studs in the past few years has gotten be almost tin can like in thickness.

As for boxes, the last addition I wired up I used plastic boxes that came with flange that rested against the backside of wall to prevent flopping around.

If you can'y find those just screw a short piece of scrap stud to box

satcom

The metal studs have been around for some time, and in the last 10 or 15 years we see them in most of the resi additions and re mods, the wood studs are still used by most of the handymen, but it seems the carpenters use the steel studs for additions and remod work. We use the greenlee stud punch for the holes, and steel boxes brackets, we use everything from nm to mc and emt on the steel stud jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.