Prescription Safety Glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

According to some training that I attended, I should only be wearing "non-conductive" eye-wear.

Does anybody know of non-conductive prescription safety glasses?

Thanks,

zog

According to some training that I attended, I should only be wearing "non-conductive" eye-wear.

Does anybody know of non-conductive prescription safety glasses?

Thanks,

OSHA requires either non conductive or if conductive they need to be ensured not to contact live parts. So, a little grey area there.

Here is a letter of interpretation from OSHA

Eyeglasses with exposed metal parts are considered "Conductive apparel". As noted in the middle of column 2 of page 32007 of the preamble published in Volume 55, Number 151 of the Federal Register on Monday, August 6, 1990, the Electrical Safety Related Work Practice standard at 1910.333(c)(8) prohibits employees from wearing conductive objects in a manner presenting an electrical contact hazard. Normally, the wearing of eyeglasses containing exposed metal frames (or metal parts of frames) is not considered to present an electrical contact hazard. However, when the glasses have a metal type frame and the employee is working with his or her face extremely close to energized parts or when a metallic chain strap is attached to the frame for wearing around the neck, an electrical contact hazard can be present. In such cases, the standard permits the hazard to be removed by eliminating the chain and wearing either a protective face shield or appropriate safety glasses over the metal frame optical glasses.

These guys have non conductive ones.
http://www.titmus.com/

WDeanN

I don't know if they qualify as safety glasses in the intended sense, but the BC glasses issued by the military will certainly keep you from conducting with members of the opposite sex!

zog

I don't know if they qualify as safety glasses in the intended sense, but the BC glasses issued by the military will certainly keep you from conducting with members of the opposite sex!

LOL, I think I still have my boot camp issued BCD's somewhere.

nhfire77

BC's=contraceptive eye wear

(I have to stop myself from the remainder of my useless and vulgar comments)

wawireguy

Who's enforcing this? I've never heard of a issue with someones glasses becoming energized. At least you have something over your eyeballs. That's better than 75% of the numb nuts out there.

zog

Who's enforcing this? I've never heard of a issue with someones glasses becoming energized. At least you have something over your eyeballs. That's better than 75% of the numb nuts out there.

Well, as I posted, OSHA is enforcing this.

And it has nothing to do with becoming energized, the issue is they fall off your face while working on energized parts and cause an arc flash to occur.

iwire

Staff member
And it has nothing to do with becoming energized, the issue is they fall off your face while working on energized parts and cause an arc flash to occur.

I have to disagree based on the wording of the OSHA quote you posted.

Normally, the wearing of eyeglasses containing exposed metal frames (or metal parts of frames) is not considered to present an electrical contact hazard. However, when the glasses have a metal type frame and the employee is working with his or her face extremely close to energized parts or when a metallic chain strap is attached to the frame for wearing around the neck, an electrical contact hazard can be present. In such cases, the standard permits the hazard to be removed by eliminating the chain and wearing either a protective face shield or appropriate safety glasses over the metal frame optical glasses.

That reads to me like OSHA is worried about the glasses contacting energized parts while on the persons face.

zog

I have to disagree based on the wording of the OSHA quote you posted.

That reads to me like OSHA is worried about the glasses contacting energized parts while on the persons face.

Thats dumb, think about it, what is the difference between your face or a metal frame touching a live parts from an electrical shock persceptive? Nothing?

The concern about contacting live parts with anything metal, glasses, rings, watches, etc...is the potential to initiate an arc flash event.

ohmhead

Well our company issues all electricians safety glasses these are plastic throw away glasses they have three types tinted - clear -and a new one thats a throw away magnifier type like you get in a drug store mag 115 ,125 ,150 ,160, 180 so it can let you see with out regular glasses for print reading .

But most of us ware our own prescription safety glasses with the OSHA number on the frame and there metal so i think iwire has a point ther .

If you ware safety glasses all day 8 hours a day which the people who make these safety rules dont come on out on a 98 deg day and lets see you do your paper work in the hot sun sweat coming down your face and talk about heavy plastic frames !

And the salt from your sweat burning your eyes !

In some locations safety glasses are a hazard to the worker i know i work for a living !

My glasses are plastic with inside metal frame and thick safety poly glass lenses and you must ware a eye glass strap on you neck it keeps your glasses from falling off .

They never come off ever and i dont see them as a shock hazard in addition we dont work hot but if we did we would have a full suit on with a full face shield over glasses so i dont see the problem .

The test lead tips on vom meters are unsafe i guess the tips should be plastic but how would we measure voltage without a metal contact.

Last edited:

ohmhead

Well heres OSHA SAFETY GLASSES
100_0234.jpg

How we know this is 2 months ago we had a osha inspection on site and they ask to see your glasses and check the inside frame for number we passed they also check hard hat dates .

Last edited:

zog

But most of us ware our own prescription safety glasses with the OSHA number on the frame and there metal so i think iwire has a point ther

There is no "OSHA number" on the frame, there should be Z87.1 with is referencing an ANSI standard. ANSI Z87.1 has requirements for impact and UV attenuation, but is general for all industries.

OSHA was looking for that number and allowed the metal frames because you have a laynard attached.

zog

they also check hard hat dates .

There is no requirement in any OSHA standard for hard hat dates, the only reason that some hard hats have the "manufacture date" is they willl tell you to replace them every 2 years (To sell mor hard hats), which may be a good idea but is not required by any standard.

They were checking for the ANSI Z89 stamp and you being an electrical guy they were also looking for the class E rating. (I have trained many OSHA inspectors on what they are required to look for)

jeremysterling

There is no "OSHA number" on the frame, there should be Z87.1 with is referencing an ANSI standard. ANSI Z87.1 has requirements for impact and UV attenuation, but is general for all industries.

OSHA was looking for that number and allowed the metal frames because you have a laynard attached.

zog,

Remember those metal-framed submariner spectacles we were issued ship-board? Did the "hook-behind-the-ear" type temple arms substitute for the lanyard?

Those sub glasses were way better than the BC's and could actually be worn on liberty call.

ohmhead

Well Zog thats the number they check for on frame of glasses and yes its a ansi number .

The date in hard hat is checked but they look for cracks if its old they suggest you get it replaced the osha guy bent a few hats and looked at the inside but ive got stickers on mine from contractors so its hard to see a crack .

And yes there is no rule on replacement by osha but if its 5 or more years were i work you need a new hat kinda .

These stickers are to enter a site for security reasons its kinda a standard on our jobs we have two hats ones class g and ones class e it depends on the job were at .

Company rule after 3 years its gone !

But i like fiber metal hats myself i think there stronger .

We all ware the same color also .

zog

zog,

Remember those metal-framed submariner spectacles we were issued ship-board? Did the "hook-behind-the-ear" type temple arms substitute for the lanyard?

Those sub glasses were way better than the BC's and could actually be worn on liberty call.

I have a pair of those somewhere too, not sure if that would satisfy the requirement but IMO it should, thoe things would not come off.

Besoeker

Well heres OSHA SAFETY GLASSES
100_0234.jpg

How we know this is 2 months ago we had a osha inspection on site and they ask to see your glasses and check the inside frame for number we passed they also check hard hat dates .

Looks remarkably like the new pair I got yesterday.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.