GFCI not required in attic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

A home inspector wrote this up as a defect stating it should be GFCI protected. You are looking at a duplex that is not GFCI protected in an attic.

I cannot find any reason that this would have to be GFCI protected under 210.8. Does anyone know any different?

The 2005 applied at the time. Would there be a difference if the 2008 NEC applied?

IMG_4720.JPG

Cavie

The NEC is an amasing document. That very install with the cord in the attic is legal in residential yet a violation in commercial. Does anybody have a good reason for this way of thinking. You are in the commercial enviorment maybe 8-12 hours a day while you are awake and alert (most of us anyway) yet you are at home sleeping with that install in you attic it is safe????

480sparky

The NEC is an amasing document. That very install with the cord in the attic is legal in residential yet a violation in commercial. Does anybody have a good reason for this way of thinking. You are in the commercial enviorment maybe 8-12 hours a day while you are awake and alert (most of us anyway) yet you are at home sleeping with that install in you attic it is safe????

Dwelling attics usually are not air-handling spaces. :cool:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I've agree with your point. A small cord and plug connected condensate pump above a hung ceiling cannot be so connected but a fan in an attic can. IMO the cord above the hung ceiling will last far longer than the one in the attic and the cord in a hung ceiling will last a lot longer than the equipment it's connected to. In other words the condensate pump will fail long before the cord.

480sparky

Which is a mechanical code violation but that is another subject for another forum.

What the HVAC guys do is their business.

Plus, the thing is hard-piped with PVC. I have never in my life seen PVC used to vent anything except high-efficiency furnaces and direct-vent water heaters.

iwire

Staff member
Could you explain Radon Pump? Don't make me Google, I get easily distracted.:)

It sucks the radon out from under the slab and vents it outside.

Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell or taste radon, but it may be a problem in your home. The Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, you're at high risk for developing lung cancer. Some scientific studies of radon exposure indicate that children may be more sensitive to radon. This may be due to their higher respiration rate and their rapidly dividing cells, which may be more vulnerable to radiation damage.

Radon pump recepticle

Radon pump recepticle

I ran a circuit and wired a recepticle for a radon pump 1 time 5 or 6 years ago. I'm urging the 2 brain cells I have left to ram into each other so I can recall correctly. I vaguely remember manufacturer called for GFCI protection. I vaguely remember thinking that it was unneccesary, and no one would realize if it tripped.

OR my memory is of something else.

Glad I could be so helpful.

I so envy folks with memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.