Couldn't tell ya'.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
If I were the manufacturer, I'd rather sell you the NM cable and have you strip out the individual conductors if you needed them. That way I'm selling you more product.

You lost me there.

I do not have my pricing sheet but I think I pay more for 1500' of 12 AWG THHN then I do for 500' of 12/2 NM.

mivey

You lost me there.

I do not have my pricing sheet but I think I pay more for 1500' of 12 AWG THHN then I do for 500' of 12/2 NM.
My thought was using a similar profit margin. I'm thinking the romex is a more complex product and costs more to assemble. I'm not sure what the volume of THHN vs romex would be for the manufacturer but must weigh in on the final retail price.

If I sell X_ft of wire with a Y% profit margin I have stayed busier with the more complex product and if the romex costs more to assemble, I have also made more $.

Add: I could be all wet too!

iwire

Staff member
My thought was using a similar profit margin. I'm thinking the romex is a more complex product and costs more to assemble. I'm not sure what the volume of THHN vs romex would be for the manufacturer but must weigh in on the final retail price.

If I sell X_ft of wire with a Y% profit margin I have stayed busier with the more complex product and if the romex costs more to assemble, I have also made more $.

What if you are already making good profit on the NM and simply charge more for THHN 'cause you can.:)

Monday I will look at my pricing sheet.

mivey

What if you are already making good profit on the NM and simply charge more for THHN 'cause you can.:)

Monday I will look at my pricing sheet.
I'm betting you will find x ft of 12-2 w/g romex will be more expensive than 2x ft of #12 THHN (don't forget to get the price for solid, not stranded).

iwire

Staff member
Inquiring minds want to know (one anyway).

I did check but had forgotten to post back.

It's close to a wash, but I did not have a current price on 12 solid bare.

My price on 1000' of 12/2 NM $275

My price on 3000' of 12 solid THHN is $294

dana1028

That code speaks of cable. My question was if in a jam, could the individual conductors in NM be pulled in a raceway? /quote]

I asked that question to UL - they said stripping the sheath off the cable constitutes a field modification of a listed assembly... thus the wires are no longer part of an assembly and are not listed.

mivey

I did check but had forgotten to post back.

It's close to a wash, but I did not have a current price on 12 solid bare.

My price on 1000' of 12/2 NM $275

My price on 3000' of 12 solid THHN is $294
There would have to be some adjustment made for the bare. More expensive romex with an insulated ground? Probably would not be fair comparison to tag it as waste.

Anyway, thanks for looking it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.