230.54(B) and goosenecks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
When looking at another article while reading another thread, I noticed this article on the same page.

230.54 (B) Exception says Type SE cable may be permitted to be formed in a gooseneck and be taped with self-sealing weather-resistant thermoplastic.

That means I could secure the SE up from the meter socket to the point of attachment and then just bend it over to the conductors come straight down out of the jacket. How often is that used? Can anybody think of a real benefit to that wiring method besides saving on the cost of a weatherhead?

peter d

That means I could secure the SE up from the meter socket to the point of attachment and then just bend it over to the conductors come straight down out of the jacket. How often is that used? Can anybody think of a real benefit to that wiring method besides saving on the cost of a weatherhead?

Since I'm from New England as well, I had never seen it done anywhere around here. Then I travelled to Ohio and saw it done all over the place. I thought it was pretty good idea for a few reasons - no problem with water intrusion (if installed properly of course) and no messing with a silly weather head. Cost wise it just about washes out, and yes I calculated it. :D

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Does everyone carry self-sealing weather-resistant thermoplastic on their truck?

That's just that 3M rubber tape, right? You stretch it over the end of the jacket where you stripped it and wrap around itself and it vulcanizes onto itself.

Since I'm from New England as well, I had never seen it done anywhere around here. Then I travelled to Ohio and saw it done all over the place. I thought it was pretty good idea for a few reasons - no problem with water intrusion (if installed properly of course) and no messing with a silly weather head. Cost wise it just about washes out, and yes I calculated it. :D

Yeah, I should check the MA amendments because that might be interesting to use in those beach towns where their lighting fixtures last 5 years at the most. It seems kind of ugly to me, but I'll bet having wires and metal boxes on the outside of their homes is ugly to most people anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.