enclosing 2500 anp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

srmaint1

Can anyone tell me the specifications for building an enclosure around a 2500amp service which is located in a dusty room. I would like to know how large the area has to be , length, width, height,, as well as what size door would be required, and any other information I would need. Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It might not be as simple as that. Clearly, you have to maintain the minimum required working clearance. But you can build an enclosure that is just a little larger than the service panel, and have the doors to the enclosure open outward (away from the panel), and have the doors wider than the panel itself, so that with the doors closed the panel is fully enclosed, and so that with the doors open and out of the way you have the clearance needed to work on the panel. What comes next into play is providing enough ventilation to prevent overheating the panel. For that, you will have to have a chat with the panel manufacturer.

Welcome to the forum.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
And let me ask what exactly comprises the 2500 amp service? Are you just talking about a meter and disconnect, with the main panel located somewhere else? Are you talking about a switchgear, or a switchboard, or a panelboard? Exactly what are you proposing to go inside the enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.