GFCI not required in attic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It could be a radon pump however I have come across a very similar situation. Here is the picture
ry%3D400

This fan, believe it or not was connected to the toilet. Apparently it takes the smell out before the smell can get into the air. They had special tanks and toilets for this setup. The fans were activated by motion sensors at the feet in all the bathrooms.

iwire

Staff member
It could be a radon pump however I have come across a very similar situation. Here is the picture
ry%3D400

This fan, believe it or not was connected to the toilet. Apparently it takes the smell out before the smell can get into the air. They had special tanks and toilets for this setup. The fans were activated by motion sensors at the feet in all the bathrooms.

Nice professional looking job. :roll:

ivsenroute

We have detected radon levels above the allowable limits in slab on grade construction as well as on the first floor of homes above a crawlspace. This is not limited to basements.

Chris,

The method used for reducing the radon level in a typical basement situation is to install an electric fan such as the one you see either outside of the building or in the attic for DEP & EPA compliant installations. A hole is drilled into the slab and approximately a 5 gallons bucket worth of rock and dirt are removed to create a small void. Four inch schedule 20 pipe is normally used to connect the sealed hole to the fan which in return must discharge the air above the roof line.

This creates a negative pressure under the slab and any gas that is present will be drawn out. A manomter is placed to verify that a vaccuum is present.

This is called a "Sub-slab depressurization system" and is the most common method for mitigation of radon gas.

I frequently find violations with these installations as the "DEP certified mitigation companies" routinely hook up these with 14/2 to 20A breakers and run NM inside conduit on the outside to the fan unit.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
ry%3D400

Were these special toilets and tanks "home made" or were they a listed product ? I've yet to see one of them. For what its worth the installation looks like what the smell comes from.

raider1

Staff member
Do they use PVC for dryer vents in your area? Never seen that and I would be worried about the temperature rating of PVC used that way.:confused:

Agreed, the mechanical code does not permit PVC to be used as a dryer vent. (Doesn't mean that I haven't seen it attempted.:))

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.