apartment counter outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I was rewiring A burned out 1 bed apt and the owner only wanted what was one kit ctr ckt installed in this small kit. I know that any kit is supposed to have two ctr circuts but is there an exception when total counter length is only 40" ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Recently I was rewiring A burned out 1 bed apt and the owner only wanted what was one kit ctr ckt installed in this small kit. I know that any kit is supposed to have two ctr circuts but is there an exception when total counter length is only 40" ?
There is no exception. But you can as others pointed out, extend the dining room circuit into the kitchen or put the refrigerator with one of the counter recep.

kwired

Electron manager
circuit is not limited to the counter only. other receptacles within the kitchen are allowed on the circuit - you may have small counter but probably have other receptacles in the room as well as others have mentioned dining room breakfast room etc although small apts not likely to have these additional rooms.

ultramegabob

So the customer has an apt. that has already been on fire once, and they want to go cheap on the cost of one kitchen counter circuit? Some people just dont have any common sense...... just explain to him that for liability reasons you have to wire the apt. to minimum NEC requirements, and that it is in his own interest and the safety of his tennants. Then give him the scenario of someone making coffee and running a crock pot or making waffles at the same time overloading the cirucuit. For some reason people think just because a living space is small, they can get away with cutting corners on everything, just because there may be only one bedroom doesnt change the fact that toasters, coffee makers, crock pots, electric griddles, and microwaves draw a lot of current....

RICK NAPIER

I had hotel rooms converted to efficiencies with the only kitchen counter 12" wide. We put a single 20 amp duplex on a double pole GFCI to cover the issue.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Are the walls open? If not I don't think anybody can force you to fish two new circuits into the kitchen. That being said, if the counter space is 40", I would put a receptacle about a 12" away from each edge of the counter and put them on different circuits.

just explain to him that for liability reasons you have to wire the apt. to minimum NEC requirements, and that it is in his own interest and the safety of his tenants. Then give him the scenario of someone making coffee and running a crock pot or making waffles at the same time overloading the circuit.

So you use scare tactics to sell your jobs? Because if you install the proper size conductors with the proper overcurrent device, there shouldn't be a problem.

Jim W in Tampa

Simply tell him that NEC requires 2 circuits. You are required to follow NEC. Then if he is listening at all tell him why. You have no options even if wall is finished.

electricmanscott

Are the walls open? If not I don't think anybody can force you to fish two new circuits into the kitchen. That being said, if the counter space is 40", I would put a receptacle about a 12" away from each edge of the counter and put them on different circuits.

So you use scare tactics to sell your jobs?.

I agree with the first part.

Second part..hell yeah! "Nice place you got here, be a shame if something should happen to it, you know what I'm sayin?"

Thank you all for your suggestions they were most helpfull . I to like the scare tactics idea afterall Im shur he would not want to rebuild because of another fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.