direct tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

hot wire

Dish was installed when i bought the house. In the process of getting all coax cable off the side of the house putting it in the crawl space and comming up in a wall. On one side of the house there is a block with 2 pieces of coax comming from dish and 2 pieces leaving going to 2 different rooms but theres a piece of #12 green comes off this block and is stuck in the ground. Dont under stand what this ground is doing . does the dish need to be grounded the other 2 rooms in the house dont have this set up. Guess thats what you get when you get a free install and holes in the side of the house. Looked at direct tv web site didnt see any thing about this issue .Whats the proper way to ground the dish or does it even need one.

TwinCitySparky

It should be grounded to the building service where it enters. If the dish is not located in the vicinity of service, it's should be grounded via ground rod not just a wire sticking in the ground.. at the closest earth point. Then from that rod, the conductor needs to be routed to the main service and terminated properly.

hot wire

I thank they forgot a few steps. Like i said the only ground i see comes off that coax splitter and #12 off that stuck in the ground. i hit it with the weed eater. So how come that line of work gets away with doing half ass work and no insp and call it a free install. What are you grounding the metal arm that holds the dish cause the dish is fiberglass i thank i havent got up there and looked to close its mounted up on the side of the house. Know that im not working i have plenty of time to fix it right. thanks

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
it's should be grounded via ground rod not just a wire sticking in the ground.. at the closest earth point. Then from that rod, the conductor needs to be routed to the main service and terminated properly.

I agree it needs to be bonded to the GES via a #6 but what purpose would the ground rod serve:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.