GFCI Protected Switches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
I failed a final inspection on a handicap accessible bathroom in San Francisco a few minutes ago. The inspector says all of the switches in this bathroom have to be GFCI protected. The main reason appears to be that there is no separate drip ban for the shower -- which does make some sense.

But is there really a written code requirement for this somewhere? If so, where?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Most interesting.... the GFCI thing may be a local issue, but if one wishes to look at a handicap bath where there is no drip pan, and from that classify the entire bath as a shower area, then 404.4 would not allow switches at all.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I failed a final inspection on a handicap accessible bathroom in San Francisco a few minutes ago. The inspector says all of the switches in this bathroom have to be GFCI protected. The main reason appears to be that there is no separate drip ban for the shower -- which does make some sense.

But is there really a written code requirement for this somewhere? If so, where?

I wonder if it's an ADA rule?

raider1

Staff member
Unless there is a local code requirement, most likely the inspector is misinterpreting 210.8(B)(1) to include switches.

Chris

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
I've got a possible work around but it requires the use of a gfci/switch device. But it has to be a 20 amp receptacle. Do they make GFI/switch combo devices with a 20 amp recept? I've only seen 15 amp ones.

benaround

This is why it is important to have the Inspector write the violation with code reference,

so you can look it up.

jwjrw

This is why it is important to have the Inspector write the violation with code reference,

so you can look it up.

I wish all inspectors were required to write the violation down and make clear where he found the violation. I always try to meet them if possible. If it something small I can usally fix it while he is there.

raider1

Staff member
I wish all inspectors were required to write the violation down and make clear where he found the violation. I always try to meet them if possible. If it something small I can usally fix it while he is there.

Check with your local AHJ or State statutes but most areas have laws that require an inspector to cite the code violation in writing.

Chris

jwjrw

Check with your local AHJ or State statutes but most areas have laws that require an inspector to cite the code violation in writing.

Chris

Im sure they do but that dosent mean all of them do it lol.
I'm usally there but I have gotten slips that tell me what they want but do not site code #. I have a good pass rate because everybody misses something sometimes.

raider1

Staff member
Im sure they do but that dosent mean all of them do it lol.
I'm usally there but I have gotten slips that tell me what they want but do not site code #. I have a good pass rate because everybody misses something sometimes.

Have you asked the inspector to cite the code reference?

I don't always cite the code section number on all my inspection reports, but if asked I will always provide it.

Chris

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
As a follow up, this is how it was resolved.

0120101400.jpg

0120101401.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I wish all inspectors were required to write the violation down and make clear where he found the violation.
Why wouldn't any inspector be more than happy to do so? Aren't we partners in making sure every installation is compliant?

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
Did the inspector ever cite a local code requirement?

Chris

I believe asking this particular inspector to cite a reference would have severely negative consequences. That doesn't mean there isn't a legitimate reference out there somewhere, but it isn't worth it on this one.

I now have access to the SF electrical code so I'm gonna check it out.

raider1

Staff member
I believe asking this particular inspector to cite a reference would have severely negative consequences. That doesn't mean there isn't a legitimate reference out there somewhere, but it isn't worth it on this one.

Why would politely asking the inspector for a code reference have negative consequences?

I have never understood inspectors that get upset when asked for a code reference.

Chris

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
I now have access to the SF electrical code so I'm gonna check it out.

Didn't see anything in the SF code.

On the positive side, it is a good idea. That floor is likely to get wet even though the drain is down hill from the switch locations. People are likely to be barefoot there on occasion, so...

On the other hand, if it's such a great idea then all switches in all bathrooms should be GFCI protected because bathroom floors in general are likely to get wet. Whatever...

Last edited:

SEO

Why would politely asking the inspector for a code reference have negative consequences?

I have never understood inspectors that get upset when asked for a code reference.

Chris

I think that only an insecure inspector would take offense if asked politely for a code reference. Most inspectors would be more than happy to give you a code reference and how they interpret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.