Calculations for Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello-
I am a student at a technical college in Missouri. Our class is currently working on a project for our lighting design class.It is a jail/halfway house. It has two separate area of housing, for men and women. It also has office space. The question we have run into is about calculating the total VA for this facility. In the table in Article 220.12, jails are not listed. One of the possible solutions that we have thought of is using 2 VA per square foot, because of the listing for "Hotels and motels, including apartment houses without provision for cooking by tenants". Alternatively, we could calculate the areas separately. If anyone has any information, or if anyone has done these kind of calculations before and is willing to help, please let us know.

shamsdebout

I think that is a good method to use. I am looking at the allowed power density allowed per my state energy code and it's 1 W/ft^2. I don't think they are going for high luminance in that space, I think you will be ok.

mivey

Not sure what information you have up front but it does not sound like enough. Calculate the areas separately, but you can group same-type areas (like cells/rooms). Treat the rooms separately from the common areas. You need more info on what is allowed in the cells/rooms. They may not have a stove but might be allowed hot plates, coffee makers, etc.

If it is a "casual setting", the load diversity will be greater. If it is very structured, everybody might live by the same clock (and use their hot plates at the same time).

DPW

Jail info

Jail info

I have done a few of these areas before. One needs to refer to the IES & Criminal facility codes that dictate the quantity (lumens) of lighting that is required in each area. In addition to making a calculation based on VA/Sq Ft, one needs to be certain that this is adequate compared to the number / kind of fixtures required.

The VA that satisfies all of the requirements would be the minimum amount to use with the overall electrical capacity planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.