Condo branch circuit for island

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwjrw

Is there any code to prevent someone from drilling thru the floor of a condo which would mean into the ceiling of the unit below and then pulling wire into island? There is an art that prevents either feeders or se cables from passing thru the interior of another unit but that isnt the same I dont think. Cant remember the art either..

benaround

I don't know the article either, but where does the ceiling for the first floor stop, and

where does the floor for the second floor begin ?

jwjrw

The slab question got me to thinking and that was what we did there. Ok does it say in the nec anywhere branch circuits cant pass thru another unit or is it feeders or se or all I think Im confusing myself.

jwjrw

I don't know the article either, but where does the ceiling for the first floor stop, and

where does the floor for the second floor begin ?

I think you had two foot between ceiling and bottom of concrete floor for unit above.

jwjrw

These aren't NEC issues, but local building and fire issues.

Ok what im really trying to as is
1 what art says you cant pass thru another unit and is it saying bc or feeders or se cables
2 could be the area above the ceiling dosent belong to the unit like someone said so that would be legal

480sparky

Ok what im really trying to as is
1 what art says you cant pass thru another unit and is it saying bc or feeders or se cables
2 could be the area above the ceiling dosent belong to the unit like someone said so that would be legal

I'm just saying these are not addressed by the NEC. Local building codes and fire regulations would dictate what you can and cannot do. And you local AHJ would be the best source.

jwjrw

I'm just saying these are not addressed by the NEC. Local building codes and fire regulations would dictate what you can and cannot do. And you local AHJ would be the best source.

I understand what you are saying but now Im asking can any wiring for 1 unit run thru to another unit (I think no but I cant find the code art) Above the ceiling is not the same as in the unit I know that. Thanks I think im just not thinking properly.

raider1

Staff member
I understand what you are saying but now Im asking can any wiring for 1 unit run thru to another unit (I think no but I cant find the code art) Above the ceiling is not the same as in the unit I know that. Thanks I think im just not thinking properly.

There is no NEC section that prohibits branch circuit or feeder conductors from passing though one dwelling unit to another.

Chris

480sparky

You can't find the article because it's not in the NEC.:cool:

jwjrw

Correct, if each dwelling is considered a separate building. 230.3 prohibits service conductors from passing through the interior of another building or structure.

Chris

What would make each dwelling a seperate building if they are in the same building. An example if you could would help me see what I'm missing.

raider1

Staff member
What would make each dwelling a seperate building if they are in the same building. An example if you could would help me see what I'm missing.

I think the definition of building from Article 100 will help.

Building. A structure that stands alone or that is cut off from adjoining structures by fire walls with all openings therein protected by approved fire doors.

So if the individual dwelling units are separated by a fire wall then they are in essence separate buildings.

Chris

jwjrw

I understand. The wording of the code can be like speaking in tounge sometimes. Seems like they could say the same thing in clearer language.

But to clear it up just my service entrance conductors are prohibited to run thru another unit not feeders or branch circuits

raider1

Staff member
I understand. The wording of the code can be like speaking in tounge sometimes. Seems like they could say the same thing in clearer language.

But to clear it up just my service entrance conductors are prohibited to run thru another unit not feeders or branch circuits

Correct.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.