Using SEARCH in the Mike Holt Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

UBG

Occupation
Electrician
Hi folks, I am a new member. I asked Roger, one of the moderators here, this question when I first joined, and he suggested I post it here:

I discovered that the forum seems to reject any search term of 3 letters or less. This is understandable for common words such as "and", "the" etc.... But I was searching for "ceiling AND fan AND outdoor" and "fan" was rejected each time. "Fans" was accepted, however. Maybe this does not matter frequently, but in this case it would...is there any work-around?

Webmaster, are you aware of this?

Thanks to all....

iwire

Staff member
I was searching for "ceiling AND fan AND outdoor" and "fan" was rejected each time. ................. is there any work-around?

I use Google, for your search above I would enter ...

+ceiling +fan +outdoor site:http://forums.mikeholt.com

in the Google search box.

Try it. :)

Last edited:

UBG

Occupation
Electrician
iwire, thanks, great idea, that seems like a great work-around! Roger suggested I pm the webmaster regarding this too, which I just did...wondering if the search feature HERE can be made friendlier.

cadpoint

The software that is hosting this site is the limiting factor as to what is presented as opposed to what you thought per ones inquiry. That said, most numbered articles will appear verses a compound sentence or thought as par-phrased with english.

It's subjective in nature, and not always a complete sentence as one speaks,it more "phrase and conjector" than of a Compound thought... Not that the advanced search feature doesn't offer it, it's still only as good as the inquiry thought verses the software.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I'm just posting to agree with iwire. The search function leaves much to desire. Type the words you are looking for into Google and add "inurl:forums.mikeholt.com" afterward.

jaylectricity

Occupation
Also, we can all help the search feature by adding tags to threads.

Near the bottom of the thread you can click the "edit tags" link that will allow you to add a word or two (I think you are limited to adding two "tags" to the thread) that might help people find the thread in the future.

I will add the tag "search" to this thread.

UBG

Occupation
Electrician
...what is presented as opposed to what you thought per ones inquiry. That said, most numbered articles will appear verses a compound sentence or thought as par-phrased with english.

Huh? even correcting the spelling (versus, para-phrased) I still don't get what u mean....

It's subjective in nature, and not always a complete sentence as one speaks,it more "phrase and conjector" than of a Compound thought... Not that the advanced search feature doesn't offer it, it's still only as good as the inquiry thought verses the software.

okay, i substituted conjecture for "conjector" and, again, versus for verses....nope. not a clue.

BTW, the capitalized "AND" referenced in the sample in my OP are Boolean operators...not even sure if this search system supports it.

UBG

Occupation
Electrician
I'm just posting to agree with iwire. The search function leaves much to desire. Type the words you are looking for into Google and add "inurl:forums.mikeholt.com" afterward.

I have used other forums similar to this one, perhaps even running on the same vBulletin software that this one uses...I'm just guessing here, but I think that the number of characters a word must contain in order to be included in a search is not fixed value, but rather a configurable option that can be changed by the board administrator....

FWIW, vBulletin is now selling version 4.0 (the forum here seems to be running on 3.7.3, see very bottom of this or any other page). vBulletin has a forum on their own website; maybe I'll ask over there if the search word character count is configurable....

iwire

Staff member
I have used other forums similar to this one, perhaps even running on the same vBulletin software that this one uses...I'm just guessing here, but I think that the number of characters a word must contain in order to be included in a search is not fixed value, but rather a configurable option that can be changed by the board administrator...

It is certainly adjustable

FWIW, vBulletin is now selling version 4.0 (the forum here seems to be running on 3.7.3, see very bottom of this or any other page).

It is software, of course there is a newer version available. I hope we wait a long time before we upgrade again. Each time we upgrade we loose some of the past threads and spend a few weeks getting all the bugs out. The search feature has been poor since the last upgrade.

jaylectricity

Occupation
I hope we wait a long time before we upgrade again. Each time we upgrade we loose some of the past threads and spend a few weeks getting all the bugs out. The search feature has been poor since the last upgrade.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

UBG

Occupation
Electrician
It is certainly adjustable

Thought so...IMHO setting the minimum character length to exclude terms <3 characters, instead of exclude <4 (include terms >2 instead of include >3, if you prefer) would be an improvement. I suppose such a small change technically could cause stability or other issues (obviously not a software guru here) but would be surprised if it did.

It is software, of course there is a newer version available. I hope we wait a long time before we upgrade again. Each time we upgrade we loose some of the past threads and spend a few weeks getting all the bugs out. The search feature has been poor since the last upgrade.

Hmmmmm.....:roll:

cadpoint

Huh? even correcting the spelling (versus, para-phrased) I still don't get what u mean....

okay, i substituted conjecture for "conjector" and, again, versus for verses....nope. not a clue.

BTW, the capitalized "AND" referenced in the sample in my OP are Boolean operators...not even sure if this search system supports it.

Sorry to post badly composed phonics and thoughts.

I posted away from my usual software that usually helps to present a more complete thought, and sentence structure, and includes highlighting of spelling errors.

Thanks for the public lashing, I deserve it.

Welcome to the forum! :grin:

UBG

Occupation
Electrician
Sorry Cadpoint, did not mean to be so harsh...my apologies, and thanks for the "welcome"...glad to be here

Status
Not open for further replies.