Grounding one leg of 120/240V transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhaseShift

What would happen if instead of grounding the neutral of a 120/240V transformer, we removed this ground and grounded one of the hot legs?

I believe we would still have 120V L-N on each leg?

I guess we would be able to have ground fault current for a L-G fault on the ungrounded hot leg, but for a L-G fault on the grounded leg there would be no current? Is there any downside to this?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
What would happen if instead of grounding the neutral of a 120/240V transformer, we removed this ground and grounded one of the hot legs?

I believe we would still have 120V L-N on each leg?

I guess we would be able to have ground fault current for a L-G fault on the ungrounded hot leg, but for a L-G fault on the grounded leg there would be no current? Is there any downside to this?

You would have one leg of 120V L-G and the other of 240V L-G.

gar

Occupation
EE
100120-2202 EST

If neutral is floated off of ground, then you still have 120-N-120.

Otherwise if neutral, the center tap, is still connected to ground, then you have a dead short across one previous hot to the neutral. Lots of sparks and heat.

PhaseShift

You would have one leg of 120V L-G and the other of 240V L-G.

This is a hypothetical question.

If we assume that L1 is the ungrounded leg, the neutral is not grounded, and L2 is the grounded leg then I see that we will have L1-G be 240V but why would L2-G be 120V? Wouldn't it be 0V since it would be at the same potential?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
Jim was wrong.

Not really.:)
If you want to to take the midpoint connection and call it a neutral you are describing a different system.

I just did not consider the system as having a neutral. In my description there are two Line conductors and one Grounded conductor. Which is why I did not list a L-L voltage.

This may not be a hypothetical installation. There really are multi-voltage transformers used in some industrial control panels. The typical voltage for these are 480-120/24 (i.e. Square D #9070TxxxD15).

PhaseShift

So when we remove the ground from the center tap and move it to what was the L2 (far right) leg then we essentially have moved the neutral and the center tap now becomes L2 and the far right leg the neutral. Any down side to doing this?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
So when we remove the ground from the center tap and move it to what was the L2 (far right) leg then we essentially have moved the neutral and the center tap now becomes L2 and the far right leg the neutral. Any down side to doing this?
The neutral point does not change. All you are doing is changing the grounded conductor.

iwire

Staff member
we essentially have moved the neutral and the center tap now becomes

I do not think it is possible to move the neutral, the neutral is the conductor that carries the imbalance from the others. Changing which one conductor is grounded does not change this.

See 2008 NEC Article 100 "Neutral Point"

Status
Not open for further replies.