GFCI Vs RCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

Greeting all,
I have to use GFCI sockets in wet area in a projects but I have been asked the GFCI Socket's trip must be <10mm.
Can I use RCD breaker instead of GFCI sockets.

best regards,
Hameedullah Ekhlas

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
In the US our 'people' protection is nominally 5mA. These devices are called GFCI and are avialable in circuit breaker and receptacle designs.

In most of the rest of the world this 'people' protection maybe as high as 10mA and are often called RCD. These devices are not usually available for installation in US equipment.

So, what codes and standards are you designing for? If you must follow the NEC, an RCD would not be allowed.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

The projects we are designing is Corps of engineering american and our COD is base on NEC. So, the voltage is 380 line to line three phase 22o 1ph.

RCD breaker is functioning same as GFCI sockets as i searched in google. So, could you please add some information now in this regards.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The projects we are designing is Corps of engineering american and our COD is base on NEC. So, the voltage is 380 line to line three phase 22o 1ph.

RCD breaker is functioning same as GFCI sockets as i searched in google. So, could you please add some information now in this regards.
Yes an RCD and GFCI fundamentally function the same. The primary difference is in their mA operating point.

I am not aware of any GFCI 'sockets' rated for 220V 1PH.
For your system I see no option except to use RCD devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.