"Kitchen" and GFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Does anybody agree with me that this interpretation of a break room being a kitchen is a little much, and goes way beyond the intent of the code?

Nope, not at all. The intent of the code is the practical safeguarding of people and property. I see nothing impractical about requiring GFCIs in break rooms.:)

M. D.

Does anybody agree with me that this interpretation of a break room being a kitchen is a little much, and goes way beyond the intent of the code? ................

I do Kind of,.. would cabinetry make it non portable ? What does mounted in place mean? if I mount a portable power tap to a bench is it now to be considered permanent ? There was a proposal for the 2011 that would alter the language slightly , but it would have a big impact IMO ,..I'll post it below the image,.. if it goes through I think a dedicated microwave location would make it a permanent provision for cooking,.. wether or not the micro wave is there or not?

812ecmCQfig1.jpg

An area such as an employee break room with a sink and cord-and-plug-connected cooking appliance (microwave oven) is not considered a kitchen.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...rls=en-us&sa=N&um=1&ei=nt0XSrjSCMKltgePqOmHDQ

2-23 Log #2931 NEC-P02 Final Action: Accept
(100.Kitchen)

Recommendation: Revise the existing definition in Article 100 of the 2008
NEC as follows:

Kitchen. An area with a sink and permanent provisions facilities for food
preparation and cooking.

Substantiation: The proposed change will bring the definition into harmony
with the definition of ?Dwelling Unit? which includes ?permanent provisions
for cooking.? The use of the word ?provisions? in the definition recognizes that
all kitchen appliances are not ?permanent? such as electric ranges that are cord-
and-plug connected but yet occupy a dedicated location in the kitchen.

Panel Meeting Action: Accept
Number Eligible to Vote: 12
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 12

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
how many circuits required

how many circuits required

Background:
Engineer has break room "kitchen" with sink supplied with one circuit.
Two duplex GFCI outlets are provided. The users have cord and plug connected small fridge, microwave, toaster oven and coffee maker.

Engineer told me, regarding a separate issue, that I need to have a green wire in my emt. Here he tells me this single circuit is ok at the kitchen counter because nobody had specified anything to be connected, nothing built in.

There was a bullet item on the punch list to provide for the fridge, so I would have hoped that would have been opportunity to call for another circuit.

Question:
Since nothing was specified for that counter, is the one circuit ok, even tho there are three appliances hanging from it that are each more than half the ampacity of the circuit [10A]??

cowboyjwc

Staff member
As an inspector, I can't regulate what you plug into it.

If you know what's going to be there you could suggest that they rethink a single circuit.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Essence of the question is that only one circuit is required by code for break room kitchen. If a built in refrigerator [of unknown ampacity] is specified for that counter there is no code requirement for dedicated circuit, simply because ampacity is unknown.

I do notice that they did conform to residential counter spacing requirements with outlet every 2+2 feet.

thanks any-wye!

Status
Not open for further replies.