Door swing & work space

Status
Not open for further replies.

insparks

Where I work we are still under the NEC 2002 and I ran into a slight problem the other day where the main electric service panel was behind the garage mandoor. From the hinged side of the door I had the required work space plus when the door was opened 90 degrees there was no problem. The only problem was the door swing was in the work space. Am I looking at this the wrong way or is this alright?

jwjrw

If I understand you then with the door shut you have the proper space which is fine but depending on the size and amperage your door may have to swing out.

jwjrw

Then you should be fine. Alot of panels are in shallow closets that give you the required working space I dont see why the reverse wouldnt be true.

raider1

Staff member
I agree with jwjrw,

If you have the required working space when the man door is closed there is not problem.

It is quite common in my area to see a panel located behind the swing of a door to a laundry room.

Chris

geovan

When I was inspecting. I came across this.
The Journeyman called me to come look at it. I found nothing in writing in the NEC. Although I didn't like it. (working in a panel someone swings the door open and there you are ). So I called a Building Inspector. He found the IBC touched on it.
Check with the Building Inspector also.

raider1

Staff member
When I was inspecting. I came across this.
The Journeyman called me to come look at it. I found nothing in writing in the NEC. Although I didn't like it. (working in a panel someone swings the door open and there you are ). So I called a Building Inspector. He found the IBC touched on it.
Check with the Building Inspector also.

Do you know what section of the IBC he was referencing?

Chris

tkb

It can be a good thing.
That way no one can use the area for storage.
Almost guarantees that the area will be clear.

Ragin Cajun

Behind a door in a room to me is the best location since you know someone can't pile junk in front of it..

BUT . . .

Today the City of Charleston, SC gigged me for that. They don't allow a panel behind any door. They gave two reasons:

1. "Safety" as the man working "hot" could get hit by the door.
2. It's "hidden" behind the door and people might "miss it".

I said "OK", since there was room to move it. Gotta pick your battles - Electrical was the only one that passed code review. (Still like them behind the door - just everywhere else.)

BTW, they absolutely prohibit aluminum cable - including large feeders. Guess it's the salt from the ocean.

RC

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I was discussing with Habitat for Humanity how they keep the area clear in front of electrical panels. The answer was simple, put the panel behind a door that swings as you describe. The clearance is there when the door is closed. As long as the door is not a required exit it could even be locked shut when working.

tommyh

As long as you have your 30" of working space & 3' in front of the panel you should be ok, unless you have a high amp service. 200 amps is no problem....

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Today the City of Charleston, SC gigged me for that. They don't allow a panel behind any door. They gave two reasons:

1. "Safety" as the man working "hot" could get hit by the door.
2. It's "hidden" behind the door and people might "miss it".
I would have assured them I've never seen a blind, shoeless electrician in my life, and that redwings make an excellent doorstop when a lock is unavailable. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.