GFCI outlets or breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

achasing

I could use some help on GFCI with block heater outlets for trucks. A company in the suburbs is looking for 40 circuits of outlets, I am licensed in the Chicago code book, but not as familiar with NEC that this town uses. Would they require GFCI breakers, out just outlets? I can't seem to find it in the NEC. Thanks for your help.

chevyx92

I could use some help on GFCI with block heater outlets for trucks. A company in the suburbs is looking for 40 circuits of outlets, I am licensed in the Chicago code book, but not as familiar with NEC that this town uses. Would they require GFCI breakers, out just outlets? I can't seem to find it in the NEC. Thanks for your help.

If the outlets are located outside then yes, they need to be GFCI protected.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

If you only need one circuit then one GFCI breaker or one GFCI recep will do. I suspect it will be more than one circuit. But yes GFCI protection is required outdoors.

achasing

What I meant to say is can I use either GFCI breakers or GfCI outlets. Outlets are much cheaper, but I do worry about guys plugging them in and tripping the GFCI receptacle and not knowing it. Also not sure if the breakers are manditory by code or I could just use a GFCI receptacle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What I meant to say is can I use either GFCI breakers or GfCI outlets. Outlets are much cheaper, but I do worry about guys plugging them in and tripping the GFCI receptacle and not knowing it. Also not sure if the breakers are manditory by code or I could just use a GFCI receptacle.

I thought I answered that. Yes you can use GFCI recep. in lieu of breakers.

raider1

Staff member
The NEC lets you decide if you want to use a GFCI breaker or GFCI receptacle.

For cost effectiveness I would use a GFCI receptacle.

Chris

Cold Fusion

I live where block heaters are a way of life. It's -35F and 20 knots today. So I should have an informed opinion.

GFIC receptacles are too flimsy, they breakup pretty easily in the cold. GFCI breakers feeding Federal Spec receptacles are a lot more robust (reasd less maintenance).

Doesn't matter if you use GFCI receptacles or breakers. the only good way to insure the circuit is on is to use lighted cord drops, or equip the trucks with a lighted plug.

cf

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
One of the design considerations should be who is expected to deal with a tripped GFCI. If it is easy to access the panel to reset a tripped GFCI, then either approach is fine. But if anyone can come up and plug in, and the GFCI is tripped, it is much easier to reset at the receptacle. Joe blow is probably not going to hunt around for some panelboard. Perhaps he'll just cruise the parking lot trying each outlet until he finds one that works. If no one reports a tripped GFCI, it could be out for weeks.

Having visual indication of power at a station for a block heater is a good thing (lighted cord end, pilot light). The poster mentioning that GFCI receptacles may not hold up in the cold is an interesting observation, and may be more important that ease of reset.

Cold Fusion

... But if anyone can come up and plug in, and the GFCI is tripped, it is much easier to reset at the receptacle. Joe blow is probably not going to hunt around for some panelboard. Perhaps he'll just cruise the parking lot trying each outlet until he finds one that works. ...

Truckers won't do that. Personal vehicle drivers will.

... If no one reports a tripped GFCI, it could be out for weeks.

Having visual indication of power at a station for a block heater is a good thing (lighted cord end, pilot light). ...
Especially if the customer wants the trucks to run in the morning.

...The poster mentioning that GFCI receptacles may not hold up in the cold is an interesting observation, and may be more important that ease of reset.
Maintenance on 40 block heater receptacles is high. Most of the damage comes from driving off with the cord still plugged in. If the install is with cord drops, you want good cord grips and really good cold weather cord.

cf

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

I would leave the choice up to customer. Both ways are legal and have advantages and disadvantages. If you go for receptacles keep in mind they must be rated for outdoors and i would suggest the ones with red or green lights so they know if its working or not. We don't install many of them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.