battery safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckman

We have a battery bank at 48v used for our main switchgear and located about 3.5 feet from main switchgear. Is it a safety concern to have them that close to the gear in the event of a failure from a chemial reaction and needing to deal with the possibilty of a problem?

djohns6

We have a lot of substation control houses that have the battery bank just a few feet away from some relay/control panels . They mounted a fire curtain in front of the battery rack that slides on a track attached to the ceiling . It works like a shower curtain but is heavy duty and is designed for that purpose .

nakulak

Personally I don't think it's best practice, but adding a separate battery room for every installation isn't something that a lot of people want to spend their money on (unfortunately), and it doesn't seem to be a violation (as long as there is adequate ventilation), although I wonder if maybe it should be (due to the fact that catastophic failure and damage to the equipment is not that unlikely)

zog

We have a battery bank at 48v used for our main switchgear and located about 3.5 feet from main switchgear. Is it a safety concern to have them that close to the gear in the event of a failure from a chemial reaction and needing to deal with the possibilty of a problem?

Not ideal but not uncommon. As long as you are properly maintaining your batteries I would nto be concerned.

Heck, I used to sleep that close to a battery bank 100 times that size. :)

charlietuna

I would be more concerned with proper ventilation of the batteries. Hydrogen explosions can be very serious -- take a situation where the batteries are under load creating high hydrogen production--then something in that room creates a small arc !!! Hydrogen is unstable and can blow that whole room to shreds.

brian john

Do you have spill containment, that would be the biggest issue with chemical issues.
With regular maintenance and proper temperature control any issues can be caught during maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.