I cannot believe these things are legal to use...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultramegabob

I went on a service call today where a home owner attempted to patch a wall and move a couple of switches, and then decided he was in over his head what to do, when I showed up this is what I found, I have ran across these in modulars and mobile homes in the past.... (the first picture was the customers attempt at changing the switches out)

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
replaced a number of them and I agree, it is amazing, especially when there are three romexs.
.... and to think we fuss about back-stabbing :)

Volta

They are so tough to install that the listing probably doesn't allow us to use them in the field. They are for highly skilled manufactured housing workers, not simple electricians. :roll:

TOOL_5150

I went on a service call today where a home owner attempted to patch a wall and move a couple of switches, and then decided he was in over his head what to do, when I showed up this is what I found, I have ran across these in modulars and mobile homes in the past.... (the first picture was the customers attempt at changing the switches out)

By the pics, I would have to say you should settle down on the coffee consumption :grin::grin:

~Matt

480sparky

They are so tough to install that the listing probably doesn't allow us to use them in the field. They are for highly skilled manufactured housing workers, not simple electricians. :roll:

Us 'simple electricians' still have the proper tools to install them with.

2021406n_sm.jpg

ty

Marlette and Shultz homes used to use these Alot. I don't know if they still do.
There is a special tool to crimp them.
The splices can get a bit tricky in switches.

Best way to replave them is with an old work box and a snap switch.

kbsparky

That first pic is not a self-contained device. It is a standard toggle wall switch that was used to replace a self-contained device. Homeowner did that one? NOT LEGAL in any case to install the way it was shown. :confused:

The others, while they may have been approved are still junk, IMO. :mad:

As someone who connects new mobile/modular homes, I am often called upon to troubleshoot and repair wiring defects. I have yet to be able to take one of those things apart, and then re-use it successfully. I end up using a real wall box, with real wiring devices. ;)

Last edited:

ultramegabob

That first pic is not a self-contained device. It is a standard toggle wall switch that was used to replace a self-contained device. Homeowner did that one? NOT LEGAL in any case to install the way it was shown. :confused:

Yes, the first picture was an attempt the homeowner was making at replacing the switches, that was exactly how it was when I showed up, I wound up cutting in a double gang box and installing two switches.

The others, while they may have been approved are still junk, IMO. :mad:

As someone who connects new mobile/modular homes, I am often called upon to troubleshoot and repair wiring defects. I have yet to be able to take one of those things apart, and then re-use it successfully. I end up using a real wall box, with real wiring devices. ;)

The other switch he didnt mess with yet, I wound up cutting in a single gang box and replaced it with a standard switch also. I popped the back off of the self contained switch so others that have never ran across these before could see how the connections are made in them, I seriously doubt there is any way to reuse one of these, I wouldnt want to install a brand new one if I had a source where I could get them for free.

Last edited:
We wired up a couple of modulars here in jersey, they were built in pennsy. These guys left out just about all the travelers for all the three ways in the house, it was soooo much fun trying to install them after the house was put together. And to make it more fun no one had the foresight to see where the utility power was, so the panel was in the garage and the pole was on the other side of the house, so we had to put a disco outside, make the main panel a sub, and do all this with the place sheetrocked. Modulars are just great. lol

ty

We wired up a couple of modulars here in jersey, they were built in pennsy. These guys left out just about all the travelers for all the three ways in the house, it was soooo much fun trying to install them after the house was put together. And to make it more fun no one had the foresight to see where the utility power was, so the panel was in the garage and the pole was on the other side of the house, so we had to put a disco outside, make the main panel a sub, and do all this with the place sheetrocked. Modulars are just great. lol

That sounds typical.
There are numerous manufactured home plants in PA. The plant would not know where the Utility power was going to be. Each unit of a particular model would have the panel in the same location.

George,
My guess is that they figured it to be cheaper in materials and time, and not all homes are wired using these devices.
For example, in the Marlette plant, they had different levels of homes, and different brands of homes. (I don't know if they still do, but I could check)
The cheaper model of home usually had the Slater devices. they take a special crimp tool to install them.
It is the box and device. no wire nuts needed.

If you look at how mobiles are constructed, you would see a big difference in how single family dwellings are wired.
There are different types of electricians in the plant, each with a specific job. Bottom Electricians, side wall electricians, ceiling electricians, device electricians, service electricians, and others. Some do multi tasks, others not.

The bottom electricians will pull wires that will be on the 'bottom' of the home. They mainly pull jumpers, homeruns, and maybe hook up a receptacle for heat tape, and install a junction boxes or the TYCO devices for connections.
The walls are built in different locations. Then brought over and installed into the home. Many walls might show up with the holes pre-cut where the device is going to be. The wall electricians bring the jumpers from the bottom up to a switch or device hole and poke it through. They pull the jumpers that go around most walls.
The ceiling electricians pull all of the lightin jumpers, and so on.

The guy trimming out inside the home, basically goes from hole to hole installing devices, all the wires are there for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.