Is this a violation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

Of ... 110.26(3)E the exception
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fA8p2jNfZY
I found it in the crawl space of a 1.5 million dollar home on a golf course.
Their getting ready to sell the home. I was wondering if it would be flagged.
It is damp in their, you have to be on your knees to work on it.
It is two 200 amp panels. In a 4 ft high crawl space.
It is feed from a CT cabinet outside just behind it. (via the gutter to the left)

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Look at 110.26(E). There is an exception for existing but I bet this was in place long after that would be effective.

I say violation.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Some of the guys with older Code books can enlighten you more, but according to an analysis of the 1993 Code, 200 amp panelboards in SF dwellings had no headroom requirement.
I don't know the age of the installation, but it may be a grandfather situation, scary as it might be.
At first glance, it appears there wlould be a number of Code issues.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Some of the guys with older Code books can enlighten you more, but according to an analysis of the 1993 Code, 200 amp panelboards in SF dwellings had no headroom requirement.

That surprises me because I remember getting a red flag on a panel in the crawl space that fed the furnace and an outside heat pump. This was back in 1985. :-?

Buck Parrish

Yes me too, but the exception at 126.26 at headroom. Seems to say it's okay.

Although factors other then hieght are involved. Such as the location I just posted.

jwjrw

Of ... 110.26(3)E the exception
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fA8p2jNfZY
I found it in the crawl space of a 1.5 million dollar home on a golf course.
Their getting ready to sell the home. I was wondering if it would be flagged.
It is damp in their, you have to be on your knees to work on it.
It is two 200 amp panels. In a 4 ft high crawl space.
It is feed from a CT cabinet outside just behind it. (via the gutter to the left)

Hey guys since the headroom issue seems ok could you have to have raintight panels due to it being damp? How about 312.2?

Buck Parrish

Hey guys since the headroom issue seems ok could you have to have raintight panels due to it being damp? How about 312.2?

It is damp in their. But I think the outside rated panels are not much different then the inside ones when it comes to moisture.
Other then water falling on them.
Well maybe they are better if the door is kept shut all the way;)

Article 90.1

Do you have do work on them? I'd drag a wooden pallet in there and leave it. I love the dirt and mud, but only before the power is on!

mivey

Plastic under the whole house would help with the dampnes and, as strange as it sounds, give the owners something to crawl on when re-setting a breaker.

dmagyar

Water under foundation

Water under foundation

Buck, I was doing an estimate for a job on an expensive house in the area (roughly $2 million), it had 12" of standing water under some parts of the house. Most of the duct work which was underfloor was half submerged. We suggested to the owner that they put off the planned "subzero" wine cooler and invest in some replacement of the wet ducting and to install a sump pump. Guess what they did?

I don't know about their health, but I've heard from a friend that knows them, that they have cooler wine now.

Buck Parrish

This house had the duct work 'in the slab' and it too was under water. They had to install new duct over head in the part of the basement that was a full basement,
The part in the video is a small portin of the house that had a crawl space.
I am pretty sure the banks home inspector will suggest an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.