Now -thats- heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little proofreading goes a long way.. from my local municipal utility's customer newsletter section of safely:
When you?re shopping for a new cord, make sure it is rated for the task. As a minimum, any extension cord should be made from heavy (8-gauge) wire. Remember, the lower the wire gauge number, the heavier the wire, the more electrical current the cord can safely carry.

Suppose I'll mention it to the local hardware store next time I'm over there, they'll get a chuckle.

mcclary's electrical

What was this cut and copied from? They could be talking about generator cords for portable generators. You surely don't need 8 gauge to run a drop light. I believe this to be out of context

Not out of context (I think I know better than to do that 'round here :D.)-

Electrical Extension Cords
• Don’t allow a “wire octopus” of extension cords to grow from any electrical outlet in your home.
• Don’t place extension cords in hightraffic areas, under carpets, furniture, or pinched in doorways.
• If any part of the extension cord becomes hot, disconnect it immediately. Deteriorated connections to the cord wires can cause hot plugs and sockets. Connecting any appliance that draws more electricity than the cord can handle safely can cause cord overheating.
• When you’re shopping for a new cord, make sure it is rated for the task. As a minimum, any extension cord should be made from heavy (8-gauge) wire. Remember, the lower the wire gauge number, the heavier the wire, the more electrical current the cord can safely carry.
• When unplugging any electrical cord, remove it from the outlet by pulling firmly on the head of the plug.

BTW, for heavy, try the 100' 6/4 SOW one somebody helpfully made up, which became two 50's when I got hold of it. (I see that you can get 2/5 SOW, weighs 1700#/M...)

pfalcon

BTW, for heavy, try the 100' 6/4 SOW one somebody helpfully made up, which became two 50's when I got hold of it. (I see that you can get 2/5 SOW, weighs 1700#/M...)

Well, that's the correct recommendation. With a cord like that there'll be a lot fewer fires caused by extension cords. My wife for sure would never use one. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.