Number of Handles in an Old Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtester

I'm working on a remodel and have two old GE panels, one labeled 18 circuit, the other labeled 30 circuit. My question is If the panel is rated for wafer breakers, can the total number of handles exceed the label which is either 18 or 30? The 30 circuit panel has 35 and the 18 circuit has 30.

I've looked through the GE site, and can't seem to find any info. What experience do you have?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Jim Tester

zappy

I always thought if it says say fifteen/thirty circuits or whatever, thats all that would fit. some places on the panel wont accept slim breakers.

480sparky

Half-size GE breakers need a specific bus bar in order to be installed. If the little 'wings' of the bus bar are present, then the skinnies are allowed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Jim, most panel labels state "X spaces, X circuits", the first indicating the number of full-size 1p breaker spaces, and the second the greatest number of circuits using tandems where allowed.

I agree with 480's comment about the cross-bars on GE stabs.

kbsparky

GE panels are designed to accept a maximum number of breakers. You might think that there is "room" to install more than the design, but those extra circuits won't work.

The side tabs on the bus bars are only present in limited areas. ;)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
GE panels are designed to accept a maximum number of breakers. You might think that there is "room" to install more than the design, but those extra circuits won't work.

The side tabs on the bus bars are only present in limited areas. ;)

agree. If your panel has the side tabs, they will be limited so that the total number of breakers will be 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.