One man shop !

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinZip

Have any of you that are contractors thought about what electrical service you would provide if you decided to trim down your business to just yourself and one vehicle.

Below are just some thoughts that I had feel free to add to it , this might be Interesting to view others idea's.

Consulting - Design - Small service work - Repair work - Home electrical Inspections - Pool electrical Inspections

jwjrw

MY dad worked alone for many years and did everything from new resi houses to service calls in commercial buildings. He made a good living and I hope to continue as he did except I will add a few people.

cadpoint

MO,

You really need to read up on your State Laws on all these individual items!

Most States have web pages that will tell one the limits as to what's allowed or not allowed and usually based on some monetary value, of the job at hand.

Consulting - Design - Small service work - Repair work - Home electrical Inspections - Pool electrical Inspections.

There are just too many possible variables to try to cover, what are the limits verse type or size of job, liability; and of course licensing, on the inspection side.

Most times it's call practicing with a license on the first two and the last two, I'll assume your good to go on the middle two :)

Last edited:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I had fulltime employees the first ten years I was in business, now I don't. I've rented a crew from another contractor on jobs I can't do by myself in the time alloted (can't take a month on a rewire, etc.) I have a man that helps me when it fits his schedule, good electrician but now he's a preacher too and can't always commit his time in advance.

When I had employees I had to work set hours, now I don't. In addition to all the other "headaches" and etc.

Teaspoon

MY dad worked alone for many years and did everything from new resi houses to service calls in commercial buildings. He made a good living and I hope to continue as he did except I will add a few people.

Me and my wife work together all the time.
if we get in on a large house,we bring in extra help. like when we go to pull home runs.
Been doing this for 7 years. Making a living.
Most service work,Change-outs /upgrades we can handle,without additional help.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
MO,

You really need to read up on your State Laws on all these individual items!

Most States have web pages that will tell one the limits as to what's allowed or not allowed and usually based on some monetary value, of the job at hand.

There are just too many possible variables to try to cover, what are the limits verse type or size of job, liability; and of course licensing, on the inspection side.

Most times it's call practicing with a license on the first two and the last two, I'll assume your good to go on the middle two :)

He might as well do electrical inspections. Home Inspectors do this all the time.

Just kidding.

You are correct many states limit this. Ohio is one of them.

The main problem here is the state does nothing about this. Nobody cares.

hunt4679

In my opinion a one man shop can earn you just as much as having 4 or 5 guys after you figure the overhead: workers comp, trucks, insurance, tools, paperwork and all the time you have to put into keeping someon else busy so they dont leave you. I think in this business you will make it being very small or very large there isnt much room in between. I dont know though I am an employee for a mid sized company that I think could be just as profitable if it was trimmed down to 3 guys and cut the BS work.

cadpoint

In my opinion a one man shop can earn you just as much as having 4 or 5 guys after you figure the overhead: workers comp, trucks, insurance, tools, paperwork and all the time you have to put into keeping someon else busy so they dont leave you. I think in this business you will make it being very small or very large there isnt much room in between. I dont know though I am an employee for a mid sized company that I think could be just as profitable if it was trimmed down to 3 guys and cut the BS work.

That BS work might be a real money maker, you have to know the real details.

With 4 -6 men working, it can be paying his salary-to keep work flowing, a small factor that many don't grasp.

The strain and the drama of even keeping the number of employee that they do have, we all don't know this.

I think that with the nature of the ecomony and with all the other stuff going on it's very hard not to worry about re-tooling, and not worried about getting caught off guard....... or is it just the how do, I re-tool with the ecomony tanking.

"Verses, what have I done for the Business lately", which direction should I go, what's going to work for them.

But the better thought is, how does one want to to ride off into the sunset! :D

jimmyglen

just my 2 cents

A one man shop seems ideal to a lot of guys, but I think it seldom works out like you dreamt

you are too busy or have nothing to do

you are way to close to every job and every situation - you make friends and give "deals"

you are real close to the situation when you have to collect money

collecting extras is hard

when work is slow you cut your price to get work and then you are busy (too busy to go look for more profitable work)

on paper you should be making money but it seems like you make about the same as you did when working for someone else

We have a guy in town (one to 2 man shop) and over the years I have seen him pop up and take a job way cheap (back when there was work) and then other customers would tell me that they tried to call him and he was too busy (or never called them back)

It can work out if you go from a 3 plus man shop BACK to a one man shop - then you can pick and chose - plus you have have the experience to handle things - different deal

guys coming out of the field and starting their own one man shops have a big hill to climb (most of the time)

jwjrw

Me and my wife work together all the time.
if we get in on a large house,we bring in extra help. like when we go to pull home runs.
Been doing this for 7 years. Making a living.
Most service work,Change-outs /upgrades we can handle,without additional help.

My dad did it alone for years with no help and made a good living.

rt66electric

different headaches

different headaches

I agree with most replies. The headaches are different. I do not have to do the "MAD SHUFFLE" of driving 30 min to the shop change trucks/etc/etc/etc. I do not have to hold my hat in my hand and groveltobe able to go watch the kids play ball or such. In the long run I make about the same -or more- as working for the other guy.
some days more some days less. If you have a good jobs a man will be able to pay bills,- a man working for himself has oppotunity to make some $$$. Remember the the other guy isnot going to payy you any more than he has to!!

iwire

Staff member
He might as well do electrical inspections. Home Inspectors do this all the time.

Just kidding.

I am betting your personal idea of what 'electrical inspecting is' is much different then what the state feels HIs are doing. You are doing a code inspection and you have authority to make things happens. OTOH HIs have no authority and they are not code inspectors.

benaround

Have any of you that are contractors thought about what electrical service you would provide if you decided to trim down your business to just yourself and one vehicle.

Below are just some thoughts that I had feel free to add to it , this might be Interesting to view others idea's.

Consulting - Design - Small service work - Repair work - Home electrical Inspections - Pool electrical Inspections

Do you want to trim down or change your business altogether ? The only thing in your list

is 'small service work and repair work' that would remain electrical work per se.

satcom

A one man shop is great until that one man gets ill and is not able to work, then everything you worked for, can be lost, so if you set on operating as a one man show, my advice would be get some good lost income insurance, or really think of all the pit falls of a one man operation, illness or injury hitting is more common then most think.

petey_c

I?m very lucky, I?m a licensed and insured one man shop, who also has a full time job. My main job pays the house bills and comes with medical benefits. My business is 95% word-of-mouth and is self sustaining and profitable. I try and charge what I think is proportional to my business size. Not too much where I feel I?m gouging someone and not so little that the Craig?s-listers are complaining I?m low balling. I get a feel of what to charge by talking to my fellow electricians and by listening to (reading what ?) electricians say/write here. I did lose some business when I was deployed, but most of my customers have come back.

satcom

just my 2 cents

A one man shop seems ideal to a lot of guys, but I think it seldom works out like you dreamt

you are way to close to every job and every situation - you make friends and give "deals"

when work is slow you cut your price to get work and then you are busy (too busy to go look for more profitable work)

on paper you should be making money but it seems like you make about the same as you did when working for someone else

We have a guy in town (one to 2 man shop) and over the years I have seen him pop up and take a job way cheap (back when there was work) and then other customers would tell me that they tried to call him and he was too busy (or never called them back)

It can work out if you go from a 3 plus man shop BACK to a one man shop - then you can pick and chose - plus you have have the experience to handle things - different deal

guys coming out of the field and starting their own one man shops have a big hill to climb (most of the time)

"you make friends and give "deals
you are real close to the situation when you have to collect money"

If you want a business to support you and make it grow, get rid of the touche feeley, Make Friends thing, and you can't be afraid to charge and collect,what it takes to operate, if you are afraid, then don't waste your time and take a job working for someone else.

mtfallsmikey

just my 2 cents

I spent most of the 11 yrs. in my own mechanical contracting biz working by myself....mostly service/repair/replacements....this post hits the nail on the head. the real problem is coming up with a fair rate of labor that covers ALL of your overhead, as well as compensating for the inevitable downtime/non-billable hours you will rack up. The amount will surprise you....

Volta

Just kidding.

In Ohio, as far as I know, the state restricts electrical inspections for "compliance with code" to those with ESI certifications. Inspecting for other reasons (including safety) should be ok.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Well this guy 'advertises' that he is both a licenced electrician and an electrical inspector.
This is from yesterday.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/rts/1569494834.html

My problem is not him inspecting anything, it is the fact that he says "LICENSED ELECTRIC HOME INSPECTOR" and "residential electric inspector". There is (are) no such thing in Ohio.

He also uses "licensed safety electrical home inspector". Any on who is an ESI would use the correct terminology. From:http://columbus.backpage.com/HomeImprovement/electrician_licensed/classifieds/ViewAd?oid=1706597

If you Google his phone # you will see that he deletes the adds where he claims to be a lic. electrician every couple of days.

It is hard enough to compete with others that will work cheap but when slapped in the face with false advertising.

Yes I did 'drive' to the state with this information. They have to 'catch' you before they will do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.