water heater hook up

Status
Not open for further replies.

j rae

I have a water heater and the thermostate they is different then the old one. The wires are to short to reach the terrminals. Is it o.k. to splice wire on to those down by new thermostate??? What code artical would this fall under since it's not a j-box !!!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have a water heater and the thermostate they is different then the old one. The wires are to short to reach the terrminals. Is it o.k. to splice wire on to those down by new thermostate??? What code artical would this fall under since it's not a j-box !!!

This would not be an NEC issue but rather a manufacturers specification. It could void the UL listing. Can you just run a new piece of wire. Make sure it is the proper insulation.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

Is this field wiring between the water heater and a forced hot water heating system? If so, I'd splice the wire somewhere out of the way and run the new wire from there.

I'm not sure what these other answers are talking about manufacturer and UL listing, I've never heard of a water heater with its own factory wiring not reaching it's own thermostat...

dcspector

If I am following you on this, thermostat wiring is generally class 2 wiring (article 725) which does not fall under chapter 3 wiring methods. However, there are a few exceptions that refer one to chapter 3. I am a bit confused on your explaination.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Is this field wiring between the water heater and a forced hot water heating system? If so, I'd splice the wire somewhere out of the way and run the new wire from there.

Unless of course the water heater and boiler are right next to each other, in which case you should stop being lazy and just replace it. ;)

j rae

if i am following you on this, thermostat wiring is generally class 2 wiring (article 725) which does not fall under chapter 3 wiring methods. However, there are a few exceptions that refer one to chapter 3. I am a bit confused on your explaination.

this is the wire from the top of the heater to the heating element !

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As far as Code is concerned, there may be no reason you could not do so although I would be concerned about the temperature rating of the wirenuts.
There may be exceptional circumstances in your particular situation, but, to me, a common-sense solution would be a new cable back to the disconnect (if one is present) or to a junction box outside of the heater.
Why introduce the possibility of a problem when avoiding it is simple ?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
There might be a temp rating of the wire issue. Most heaters use 12 ga. I don't know if it is 105 deg C or 90 deg C.

Status
Not open for further replies.