heating equipment under stairwell ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt66electric

probably wrong forum,but ..... how do you tell a wanna-be builder that he should not put a instanteous gas-fired water heater and underslab circulating pump equipment under the stairwell in single family 2-story dwelling.???? I made note to him about it , he replied " Its not a commercial buliding, I'm buliding this house myself, for my family to live in". I had to bite my tounge- work is slow or else I would have ran awy fromthis job..

mivey

probably wrong forum,but ..... how do you tell a wanna-be builder that he should not put a instanteous gas-fired water heater and underslab circulating pump equipment under the stairwell in single family 2-story dwelling.???? I made note to him about it , he replied " Its not a commercial buliding, I'm buliding this house myself, for my family to live in". I had to bite my tounge- work is slow or else I would have ran awy fromthis job..
Look here Mr Wanna-Be Builder, you should not put a instanteous gas-fired water heater and underslab circulating pump equipment under the stairwell in single family 2-story dwelling!

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Unless there is a fire code issue. What is the big objection. And why would you jack a customer because he disagreed with you. Just because a owner may be a pain in a behind does not call for such action. Charge him legitimatley and you have nothing to worry about Jack him around and see what he might have in store for you!

nakulak

I didn't mean jack him for no reason. When the bldg inspector makes him move the heater because it doesn't have enough combustion air, or whatever other reason, that's when you jack him. then when he moves it again because he put it in a clothes closet, jack him again. repeat as necessary.

electricmanscott

What exactly is the problem? :confused:

rt66electric

Its not the $$ issue

Its not the $$ issue

My concern was not about $$$, but, his family's personal saftey. Then about building codes, Then about his time/effort for a redo, Then my wiring liabilty, Then jack for T/m extras. I feel stuck between customer and building inspt. I shouldn't whine to inspt for fear a gettting a bad rap, Its small town politcs.

jwjrw

My concern was not about $$$, but, his family's personal saftey. Then about building codes, Then about his time/effort for a redo, Then my wiring liabilty, Then jack for T/m extras. I feel stuck between customer and building inspt. I shouldn't whine to inspt for fear a gettting a bad rap, Its small town politcs.

I wire whatever they want where they put it. :grin:! Its the builders problem if he dosent have things designed and isnt up on the building codes.
If anybody has to worry in the situation you described its the hvac guy.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
So when is it the EC's job to do a code complient installation. I doub't any of you code complient EC would place a panel in a non complient area or a do a not to code installation without a very exusable reason. I seriously doubt " because the owner wanted it that way is gonna fly with the BLDG dept or the contactors board if your state has one.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are the stairs made of wood? If so just install some Type X sheetrock to the underside and don't worry about it. As long as the clearances required by the manufacturer are met I don't see a problem. I've seen heating equipment mounted under stairs before.

electricmanscott

I'll ask again. What exactly is the problem? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.